HP notepad from Asutralia memorey problem.

Govan1x 13:36 19 Jan 2018
Answered

A realy poor notebook that is so slow it could only be used as a doorstop. w10 Home and only 2 gb of memorey.

I was thinking of adding memorey and maybe getting a SSD for it, But checking with crucial it says it can only take 2 gb and cannot be removed,

Click here

Any ideas as to what it can be used for If I cant get new memorey.

Govan1x 13:49 19 Jan 2018

shold have added it is a HP Notebook - 14-af102au. Thats the only conformation that I can get from HP. As no stickers on notebook just the SN and PN Numbers which gave the that model of notebook.

Govan1x 14:31 19 Jan 2018
Answer

You can still get the battery off without stripping it down. Think that is the only thing it has going for it.

So decided it is not worth the bother of stripping it down just to see whats inside.

So will class this as resolved.

Govan1x 22:52 21 Jan 2018

Ok stripped it down. Went to Crucial uk/au and the scan says it can only have 2 Gb of memory as it is on board memory.

Now is on board memory not soldered on to laptops. This one has 2 Gb of removable memory.

I would rather update the memory rather than scrap the notebook. Or does it mean that it can not take more than the 2Gb that is in it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:01 21 Jan 2018

Some things to consider:

1. can you get 4G of memory for it try googling the serial numbers on the memory if it has it.

2. have a look in BIOS to see if it has any memory limitations

3. How much is the memory going to cost?

4. If its only a 32 bit version of windows not worth going past 4 G anyway as windows won't see it.

Govan1x 23:35 21 Jan 2018

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\ tried looking for 4 or 8gb of memory but not sure what I am looking for. Dont mind if 2nd hand just wanted to try it.

It has W10 latest 64bit. Have it stripped down so not sure if I can get into the Bios the way it is just now. two numbers show not sure what is the main one.

HMT425S6CDFR6A-PB-NO-AA-1528 And hymix 2Gb1rx16pc3L-12800s-11-13-c3

Cant find a match on e bay but dont know if anything else would work.

I did read that if you have W 10 64 bit you could use up to 120 Gb 8 would do me.or even 4.

Govan1x 00:14 22 Jan 2018

No Paperwork on this notebook to say what make and model it is. So have been relying on HP support scanner which gives the SN and PN numbers which I have tried to get the right model but keep getting something different when I search. Latest one is this. It is not the HP envy that it shows. But of course it might be but doubtful. The top part is what I am looking for but cant quite get.

Govan1x 00:19 22 Jan 2018

Sorry no wonder it was wrong it should have been AF102AU

Govan1x 00:48 22 Jan 2018

Found this which it says is compatible but not going to pay £57 for 8Gb.

8GB PC3L-12800 1600Mhz 204pin Low Power 1.35V DDR3 SODIMM.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:16 22 Jan 2018

Yes about £34 for 4 Gig - that's why I raised the question. I have an old Compaq laptop with 2G RAM and similar prices to upgrade never mind the cost of a new battery.

Govan1x 11:45 22 Jan 2018

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Found some half decent prices on E Bay till I realised that they were still bidding on them.

I would hate to pay to much just to realise that it can only take 2gb. But will keep looking.Battery is ok on this one. 500gb hard drive was thinking along the lines of a cheap ssd if it made the notebook faster. But obviously I have to get the memory sorted out first.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?