HP Laserjet 5 Color drivers for XP

paranomia 18:28 17 Sep 2003

I have searched the archives and found lots of problems with older printers and XP, but none using the HP Laserjet 5 Color. I have tried to get this to work with no joy at all. Looking at the HP site the help given was totally confusing! I will be setting it up to use the lan printer server soon but I would like to use it with my laptop via lpt1.

Anyone successfully got one of these dinosaurs to work with XP?

mark500 19:16 17 Sep 2003

click here This is the easy to understand page for drivers. Just click on your printer model and download what you want.

paranomia 20:23 17 Sep 2003

Thanks Mark500, unfortunately this page deals with the mono laser printers, mine is the old "size of an average garden shed" colour version. I have found this page click here
but although it says the driver will work in a fashion, I just get a pile of junk over several pages. Works fine with Win98Se, just not with XP

mark500 21:52 17 Sep 2003

click here Laserjet 5L Driver.

click here Huge list of HP drivers.

You have to register free but it is well worth it. I get all the drivers i need from here (not just printers).

paranomia 07:46 18 Sep 2003

This is a very good resource and I have used it on occasion but the listed driver for the HP laserjet Color 5 is the same as that shipped with XP - and it doesn't work.

By the way the Laserjet 5 series of printers are not the same as the Laserjet Color 5 printers - that was my mistake when I went to collect my printer. Having used an LJ5M at work I expected a small desktop printer but ended up taking home a machine which took 2 of us to lift and filled the boot of a Ford Mondeo!!

Thanks for your help anyway Mark500.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?