'HP 9100+ suddenly decides to not work'

[DELETED] 09:01 20 Nov 2003

Morning all, I have an AMD XP 1700+, Crucial 256MB PC2700 DDR, Maxtor 60GB ATA133 HDD, GF4 Ti4200, HP 9100+ CD-RW drive and a Dynamode USB broadband modem with Plusnet.

I came home from work last Saturday and switched on my PC. When I attempted to connect to the internet, nothing came up. I thought it must be something wrong with my Dynamode modem again since something similar happened before. There are 2 green LEDs on the modem which should flash frequently, one ADSL and one USB. I had the green LED on the ADSL on but the USB one didn't flash or anything. I thought my USB cable was probably loose but it seemed that wasn't the problem because I spent like 30 minutes wiggling it around. I went into Device Manager and it looked like there might have been a problem with my modem since there was a red cross on one of my Phone/Modem devices (can't remember the name of it). However, this wasn't my only problem.

I decided that I should uninstall and then reinstall the modem drivers. However, when I put my CD into the CD-RW drive, the green LEDs flash like normal when it's loading but the autorun didn't work. I went into My Computer and when I clicked on my D drive, I didn't see the usual 'Free Space' and 'Used Space' thingys on the left. I clicked on Properties and nothing was there! I also clicked on Open and again, there was nothing. I have tried swapping my IDE cables around but it doesn't do anything and I have uninstalled and reinstalled my CD-RW drive many times. I have tried to install some of the drivers from the Windows XP and CD-RW driver CD but my CD-RW drive won't read them.

The funny thing is that when I put in a music cd and I either go to Windows Media Player or Winamp, it can play the music cd perfectly but when I click on Open in My Computer, nothing is there!

Also, if I put in a normal CD, it won't come up in My Computer but when I use a program such as Nero Burning ROM, some info appears when I click on 'Medium info' (or something like that).

And another wierd thing is that my PC has slowed down considerably! It sometimes takes like 5 minutes for me to view Properties in Device Manager! And it can take up to 10 minutes to just load a game.

I have a feeling that there might be a conflict between my modem and CD-RW but I'm quite puzzled about how this could happen in just a few hours when my PC was switched off. Before I left for work, my PC was working perfectly and I'm sure that I didn't catch any viruses then because I use ZoneAlarm on the highest settings and have scanned my PC with Norton's once so far.

So could someone help me please? I have also just moved house and was in the process of transferring my ADSL account over but on the day I was about to move, my PC then messed up!

[DELETED] 10:25 21 Nov 2003

Help please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

PostPanic's latest short film is a thrilling love letter to film and TV history

Best external graphics cards (eGPUs) for Mac

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet (2018)