How would Upgrading my motherboard effect windows

sype 17:53 07 Jul 2008

I have a duel boot XP and Vista pc that i want to upgrade. If i install a new motherboard, CPU and memory How will this effect my windows licence. will i have to buy new product keys?

Technotiger 17:56 07 Jul 2008

No, but you would need to re-activate it via Microsoft.

crosstrainer 17:57 07 Jul 2008

If you have a full retail copy of Windows (Vista and XP) then it won't effect your license, but you may have to chat to Microsoft to activate it.

If, however you have an oem (supplied with the machine) copy of the operating system(s) then those copies die with the machine, and you would need to purchase new copies.

Some people have got around this by using the "my motherboard blew" excuse, but it's taking a big risk.

[email protected] 17:58 07 Jul 2008

it worked for me once!!

[email protected] 17:59 07 Jul 2008

it was however just a motherboard.

crosstrainer 06:44 08 Jul 2008

The motherboard is the component that Microsoft chose as the "dead machine, buy a new copy" component.

You were lucky, I know of people who have done this, and have had customers ask me to do it...Bottom line is I won't. The trouble is, motherboards do fault down on occasion, and that is why it's sometimes possible to re-activate Windows with "Smooth talking" :)

[email protected] 07:28 08 Jul 2008

i had at the time a retail copy of vista sitting on my bookshelf that i had just spent over £200 on and wasnt using. so it was not so much smooth taking as insane rantings. it worked though even though the person i was ranting at probably couldnt understand me as his english was shocking!

crosstrainer 08:08 08 Jul 2008

And the retail copy would have given you no problems at all!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?