How to upgrade Win98 OS, first time help please

Mad Boy 21:30 26 Jan 2003

With a lame 11GB HD, 533Mhz intel celeron processor, 128.0MB ram.

Three Logical drives, and 2 optical drives.

How would i go about upgrading my OS bymyself for the first time?

And is it worth the hassle? I mean my pc is sluggish, so would upgrading possibly optimise my pc a bit?

Finally whats the best OS to go with?

Many Thanks

woodchip 21:47 26 Jan 2003

To speed up you Drive, You need to do some house keeping First remove temp files in the Explorer\Temps folder also clear out IE history and cache remove Programs you do not use from Add Remove Programs. Windows 98 or ME does not like over 2Gb of software loaded if you can reduce to about 1.5Gb it should work OK. Also check for scandisk bak files in the root of C:\ and delete Run scandisk and Defrag

obbit 22:04 26 Jan 2003

click here

windows

PSF 22:18 26 Jan 2003

Upgrading to XP is straight forward,basically put the disc in answer a few questions and it will install itself.

The main problem is if you have an older system some of the components may not work. XP will check your system first.

You could borrow someones XP disc and run the system checker first to see if your system is compatible. You can d/l the check from the XP site.

It would be an idea to upgrade your ram to 256 or 512 meg. click here .

PSF 22:18 26 Jan 2003

Upgrading to XP is straight forward,basically put the disc in answer a few questions and it will install itself.

The main problem is if you have an older system some of the components may not work. XP will check your system first.

You could borrow someones XP disc and run the system checker first to see if your system is compatible. You can d/l the check from the XP site.

It would be an idea to upgrade your ram to 256 or 512 meg. click here .

PSF 22:20 26 Jan 2003

oops sorry double clicked

preston 22:59 26 Jan 2003

upgrading to win xp may be a problem as your os maybe too old.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?