How to uninstall Motherboard drivers?

Sapins 19:14 20 Nov 2004

I am preparing to upgrade my system with a new motherboard, CPU, and 512mb of RAM. This will go in a new case and I will transfer the drives and graphics card from the old one and I have been advised to remove the drivers from the old board before I start.

Can anyone tell me where I will find the drivers, I have looked in device manager and there are 3 entries under "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" are these the drivers I need to remove or are there others?

Sapins 19:30 20 Nov 2004

Hi MAJ,

I have had conflicting advice re formatting or not, the latest is that there is no need to format and re-install, which would be better for me in that I don't have to re-do my Broadband Internet connection amongst other thing's, as I live in France and the Wanadoo CD really complicates things on an English system. I think I could manage ok with formatting etc; but I would rather try just assembling everything and see what happens!

Sapins 21:02 20 Nov 2004

Anyone help with locating these drivers?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:07 20 Nov 2004

Fit new board and when you first boot XP will try to run board with old drivers and may hang.

To overcome this problem, for your first boot after fitting mobo, select safe mode and install drivers that come with the board.

Sapins 22:08 20 Nov 2004

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\ and PSF.Thanks very much for the advice, I will try your suggestion first Fruit Bat /\0/\ and I'll print out your link PSF just in case.

I was delayed answering you both as I have just backed up "C" drive with Drive Image 7, just in case!

Strawballs 22:28 20 Nov 2004

what O/S

Sapins 09:03 21 Nov 2004

Strawballs, I'm using XP Home.

Kalb, thanks for that, I have decided to follow that route, I'll let you know how it goes later in the week.

Strawballs 00:12 22 Nov 2004

The reason I asked what O/S is that there is a reg cleaner that can reset hardwhare configureation but it does not work with NT based O/S's shame because it works a treat with 9X because I used it when upgrading MOBO while using 98 did not need to format but when I did the same thing with XP Pro it told me that this facility does not work with NT based systems.

Sapins 15:52 29 Nov 2004

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, it's taken from the 13th.November to get replacement parts for the case I bought in the UK. Anyway they arrived this morning and I will be starting to build my new system first thing Wednesday, it's a Blue Perspex case with UV fans and cables etc:

I hope to be able to post some pictures when it's finished,

Regards,

Sapins.

Strawballs 00:45 30 Nov 2004

Good luck sounds nice

Sapins 15:10 02 Dec 2004

Hi all,

I have my new system up and running after a bit of a struggle. XP would not boot with the new motherboard and CPU, it just took me into a loop with the message "Widows will start normally in 30 seconds or choose from start in safe mode, safe mode with network, safe mode with command prompt or use last good configuration", none of these would work. I then tried to boot from the XP CD and it was only after a few times I realised I was missing the message "boot from CD", I had placed the new tower temporally where I could not see the screen clearly:-(

I then formatted the drive and installed XP from scratch, It installed no bother, and I activated and registered it on line, I then installed my firewall and anti-virus, but, I had a terrible time getting my Internet connection working, I could not find the settings I had written on a piece of paper, I now have them printed on an A4 card minus passwords!

click here is a very good article to help you back-up and recover Outlook Express Data, I used it and recovered all my messages, favourites and Address Book. I also backed up all the folders/files I wanted to keep.

I am delighted with the perspex case, I have installed two UV fans and various UV cables, I just have to install two Cathode tubes to light everything up and fit a card reader and then the clear perspex blanking plates in the empty drive bays. When I get this done I will take a couple of photos and post a link to them.

As you will eventually see the PSU has a mass of cables, a lot of which I don't need, why can't the makers fit some sort of plug system so you can connect only those cables you need and can add more later? I think I'll e-mail my suggestion to them!

Can I now thank all of you who have helped me get this system and get it installed, I have had so much pleasure sourcing the parts and assembling them, even with a little hassle re XP and the Internet connection. I would not have dreamed of attempting this without the PCA forums, the help you get here is no less than phenomenal, I only used this word cos I have ieSpell;-)

Oh! and yes FE I am going to sing it's praises until next Christmas, probably longer:-)

One other thing, when I opened up my old *boring, beige case* which used to sit under my desk below the sliding keyboard shelf, making it awkward to get at the CD drawers, I was surprised to find that there was not all that much dust after four and a half years, and a can of that compressed air you can buy certainly worked a treat clearing it out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)