Hot Topics

How to tame Windows 10 User Account Control.

Peter~24 14:57 02 Jan 2020

Happy New Year everyone.

I have just updated an HP Elitebook 8570w laptop from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro (for FREE!). The laptop is about 7 years old and has a third generation i7 processor. It seems to have mostly gone well, but the User Account Control pops up quite often and repeatedly.

My question is there a way to tame the UAC, perhaps a Whitelist of trusted programmes? I would rather not turn the UAC off as I am not sure if that is the safe thing to do.

All suggestions are welcome.

Peter.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:53 02 Jan 2020

click here read the bit about the slider

x13 16:16 02 Jan 2020

Easier is to click on start and just type UAC and select 'change user account control settings' in list. Change settings there and reboot.

Govan1x 23:26 02 Jan 2020

If you have decent security programs turn it of it is nothing but a nuisance.

Peter~24 23:48 02 Jan 2020

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I agree with you Govan1x, it is nothing but a nuisance.

I seem to remember that in the past, in an earlier version of Windows, I think it was Norton that produced a programme that allowed you to answer the UAC query box with the allow button press and that answer was remembered for future uses of that programme.

What I am really after is something which will let me Whitelist the programmes I want to use without UAC intervention.

Regards, Peter.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

5 video games we want to see as movies

How to draw an eye

The best games on Apple Arcade

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio pas chers (2020)