How to system restore in Windows 98

Quilljar 22:58 07 Feb 2005

I believe it is possible to system restore in Win 98 using the DOS input or the bios. Can someone just run me through it please?

VoG II 23:01 07 Feb 2005

Start/Restart in MS-DOS mode

At the > prompt type

scanreg /restore

Simsy 23:26 07 Feb 2005

that this is not a system restore in the same way as it is in Win Me or XP...

What is being done with the method suggested above is restoring a previous Registry. System files are not restored.

For a comprehensive "System restore" with win98 you really need an imaging programme such as "Drive Image", or "Ghost", or "True Image".

Having said that, it is often the case that a regfistry repair alone will put right many ills!!

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

Quilljar 23:35 07 Feb 2005

I am asking, because a friend has asked me tomorrow to fix his machine which has gone a bit twitchy and lost his CD drive icon. I run XP myself, so have almost forgotten what do do with Win 98 which is on his computer. I'll give it a try anyhow, sounds as if it may work.

JIM 23:43 07 Feb 2005

lost CD drive icon may succeed with a scanreg/restore.You could also try deleting the cd drive from the device manager then let windows reinstall at reboot.May just put the cd drive icon back in my computer.

taffyal 17:03 08 Feb 2005

Wish I'd checked on here this a.m.! Assumed it not possible, just finishing a re-install on my spare machine!I learn more each day. Thanks Al.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)