How to stop Outlook email on one PC

john bunyan 07:25 25 Sep 2018
Answered

Just setting up new laptop for granddaughter at uni. I used my Outlook a/c as administrator then added hers also as administrator. I only want my use as a doomsday back up. How do I stop my email appearing when I log I log on to her PC (w10, windows mail, not yet installed Office). If I delete the ones that are there (IMAP) how do I stop them deleting on my other devices?

Taff™ 10:10 25 Sep 2018

I don't understand where they are appearing but is this to stop her seeing them? If so initial thought is delete Windows Mail on your account.

Second thought would be to set up an Administrator Account as a local account. (Which is what I do normally) Then no personal Microsoft at all. Plain old fashioned local account like we used to have! LOL

rdave13 15:46 25 Sep 2018
Answer

As Taff I would switch your account to a local account. As it's only for emergencies. Go to settings - click on Accounts. If not ope already click on 'Your Info' then click on 'Sign in with a local account instead'. You will need to sign in with your password and click next. In the window that opens select a name and password. The name must be different to yours or others' profiles. Click next then select sign out and finish. Test the login and password. Log out again and log in to your granddaughter's profile. Go to settings - accounts and select Family & other people, find your new local account and make sure it is an Administrator account.

Taff™ 16:42 25 Sep 2018

Hey Guys! Long Time here eh?

Then delete your old Microsoft Linked account - job done!

BTW - all the options are in small print Links below where they want you to go! B'Tards don't change eh Mr Gates?

john bunyan 17:56 25 Sep 2018

Thanks, gents. Went to my admin account. Outlook, and deleted the account from that PC. Have used her profile to download usual programmes such as CCleaner ( it snuck in Avast that I uninstalled) , bought a 2 year MBAM Premium license. She used her .... ac.co to get a 4 year full MS Office suite FREE! Did Macrium image, installed stuff like Adobe Acrobat reader , Freefilesynch etc. Runs well. It is an Asus Zenbook 14 in Ux331 with 500 Gig HD ; 8 gig RAM, 7i 8th generation Intel processor so very fast compared with her old 3i , 5 years old.

Tried and hope managed , to stop One Drive, as we prefer backing up to HD. I think the MS Office comes with 1 Tb of cloud- I assume to get people to subscribe in future.

Taff™ 07:47 26 Sep 2018

Did you create a Local Admin account successfully?

john bunyan 16:35 26 Sep 2018

Taff

I left it as an admin account but disabled Outlook e mail on it. It is only in case of a doomsday scenario; for the set up , with her permission, I used her profile to download all the usual programmes. Not sure what happens in 4 years to Office 365 (Free) that installed ok. Thanks for input.

Taff™ 18:27 26 Sep 2018

I bought (£40 ish) Office 2010 PRO Plus back in 2009 via a Student deal and some youngster I knew vaguely. Still working just about!

Glad you are up and running and thanks for the update John!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

Project Gemini is Adobe's Procreate rival – a new drawing and painting app for the iPad

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs