how should I dump a useless laptop

laptopdunce 10:26 05 Jul 2017

after long drama with broken acer W8 laptop which I cannot even get to reboot I really have to dump this thing now, what is the best way to get rid of it, given that I cant get it to reboot at all, (locked in "please wait" or "preparing to repair" mode, nothing works, ALT+F8, shift lock hold down, CTRL+ALT+DELTE, bearing in mind there are still my files on the HD, (have got the files off but dont want to just bin it in case someone can still get passwords off it) thanks laptopdunce

wee eddie 10:45 05 Jul 2017

Remove the Hard Drive, and take a trip to your Local Recycling Place with the chassis of your old Lappy.

Put the Hard Drive into an Enclosure, available on eBay for a tenner or so and you will now have an External Hard Drive. Plug it into your new PC and copy the Files over.

Once you are happy that you have all your stuff safely stored on you new PC. You can format your new External Hard Drive and you can use it for Backups, which I gather you don't have.

lotvic 11:07 05 Jul 2017

As per wee eddie's post.

Do you want a link to a suitable caddy that you can put the hard drive into? It is very easy to do, just need a screwdriver.

lotvic 11:41 05 Jul 2017

Actually, I've now watched a vid of how to get hard drive out of this laptop, you have to completely take the back off (no simple 1 screw and slide harddrive out) it's very fiddly.

Perhaps you would be best to go back to the shop where they looked at it and said the motherboard wanted replacing, and do a deal with them to put the harddrive into a caddy for you. 'Do a deal' they can keep the rest of laptop for spares.

wee eddie 13:10 05 Jul 2017

lotvic, you're a star. Brilliant idea

laptopdunce 14:23 05 Jul 2017

OK, I dont have this "caddy" the files were actually transferred from the post about making a "home network" and that worked fine, (when the W8 laptop was working) so I dont really need another hard drive, and, yes Its the type of laptop Acer E5-511-POBM that has to be completely dismantled to get the HD out, not little "trapdoor" to get it out - is it worth saving this one in the W8 laptop? it was a 1tb HD but if it is all corrupted will it be worth saving? especially spending more money for something I dont really need? I dont really want this rotten thing for "spares" its just making sure the HD cant be scanned for passwords and things. thanks laptopdunce

wee eddie 14:39 05 Jul 2017

ltd > I don't know if English is your first language, you certainly seem to use enough of it, but you seem to wilfully misunderstand the simplest of suggestions.

So here is a précis of what has been suggested.

Take the malingering laptop to the Shop you have been dealing with > Get them to remove the Hard Drive > Get them to Format it. > Give them the old laptop, sans Hard Drive, to use for spares > Get them to install that Hard Drive into a Caddy (a 1TB Hard Drive will normally cost about £50) > Take it home and use it for Backups

laptopdunce 14:47 05 Jul 2017

I have emailed the shop and asked them to tell me which "caddy" to buy, and if they are interested in the laptop for spares, I guess I could use a 1tb external drive if it works OK as these "caddys" look just like an external USB drive, would it need to install drivers if I plug it into my new laptop? thanks laptopdunce

Forum Editor 15:05 05 Jul 2017

"...would it need to install drivers if I plug it into my new laptop?"

No.

laptopdunce 16:25 05 Jul 2017

the shop said they will fix it for me if I buy the caddy thing, I think this one on ebay UK should be OK?? Its is for a 2.5 inch hard drive that I am looking for isnt it? thanks laptopdunce click here

laptopdunce 16:27 05 Jul 2017

I guess this one would be better as it says it is for a HD up to 1tb capacity? the other one was only up to 750GB capacity HD?? thanks click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo A9 2020 Review

Gorillaz: Reject False Icons review – plenty of music, but where's the art?

New Apple products predictions 2020

Noël (2019) : idées cadeaux & guide d'achat !