How to set new 2nd hard drive as my main one

redmaaan 18:47 21 Jan 2017

I ran out of space on my old hdd so I bought a new 1tb one, I have successfully installed it and created a new volume for it. However now I want to effectively change priority of the hdds, so my new 1tb one takes the place of my old one, booting up things, having windows on it, storing the majority of my games and files (I want to use my old one for storing some games, but I don't know if they will run at the same speed as they had done while I only had my old hdd or will be faster as they are used through my new one). I installed windows 7 on my old hdd through a disk which I still have and installed windows 10 for free when this option was availible. So in summary I want to make it as if I'd had my new 1tb hdd originally and have just added my old one onto my system after.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:03 21 Jan 2017

I suggest you clone the old drive to the new one.

plug the new drive into the lowest numbered sata port (probably where the old one is connected)

check it boots from the new drive and all your data has transfered across safely

• connect the old drive and format it
  redmaaan 22:32 21 Jan 2017

How do I transfer the data across

hastelloy 09:21 22 Jan 2017

As said you need to clone your old drive to the new drive.Macrium Reflect is highly regarded for this. Just follow Fruit Bat /\0/\ advice.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:49 22 Jan 2017

If the clone works then your computer performs exactly as it did with the old drive except you will have more space you can allocate on the new drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:51 22 Jan 2017

click here,+imaging+and+cloning

redmaaan 17:53 22 Jan 2017

ok so i cloned my old drive and nothting else, but now i have this near full partition in my new drive, with the rest of the space being unallocated and i cant seem to get the two to join together

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:22 22 Jan 2017

right-click This PC > Manage > Disk Management.

where there is unallocated space next to the partition you want to add unallocated space into, just right-click the partition and choose Extend Volume.

redmaaan 18:31 22 Jan 2017

I've tried that but it's become a 'simple volume now' and whenever i try to extend it it says 'there is not enough space availible on the disk(s) to complete this operation'

Archonar 18:38 22 Jan 2017

If it is an empty simple volume then just delete the partition so that it is empty space and then you can extend into that space. Just make sure that it is empty before you go deleting anything.

redmaaan 18:46 22 Jan 2017

It was all empty space before i cloned my old hdd into it, it now has a 465.1 gb NTFS partition exactly like my old one, and is exactly the same filled up, my other space is just 465.75gb of unallocated, 450mb of healthy reocvery partition and 100mb of healthy partition (talking about my new drive)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple