how to run two laptops from one router

Tjbdi 00:41 22 Feb 2010

Does anybody know why i cannot access the internet on both laptops at the same time,
i can access the internet on either machine
but not at the same time.
i have a wireless Belkin router.

Devil Fish 01:24 22 Feb 2010

the only thing i can suggest is go into your router settings and check it is set on dynamic ip and not static ip

Graphicool1 09:39 22 Feb 2010

If Devil Fish's suggestion doesn't work for you. Close this thread and ask your question again in the 'Netwoking' Forum.

mgmcc 14:52 22 Feb 2010

Do you have "Cable" broadband? The problem sounds as though you have connected one of a router's LAN ports by ethernet to a Cable Modem, so that it is functioning as a Network Switch, not a Router, and therefore passing the addresses allocated by the ISP to the first computer to connect.

With one computer connected, open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run" type CMD and click OK) and run the command IPCONFIG /ALL which will show details of all network adapters in the PC. With a Belkin Router, It should have an IP address starting with 192.168.2 and with the final number between 2 and 254. The Subnet Mask address will be and the Default Gateway should be

howard64 16:21 22 Feb 2010

A friend of mine had this problem and was initially told by his isp that only 1 could connect at a time. When he said this was not good enough and give me a mac to leave - all of a sudden he was transferred to a tech who knew what he was talking about. After a few instructions from the guy and I think an alteration at the far end - low and behold any number of units can connect at the same time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 and 32 review – hands-on

When is the next Apple event?

Qu’est-ce qu’Amazon Prime ?