How to restore bookmarks in Firefox?

griffon56 14:15 26 Jun 2019
Answered

Hi All, After a power outage the computer had to be restored and back-up data reloaded. Firefox was reinstalled but without the many bookmarks I found so useful. I have a number of bookmark backups created by Firefox on past updates in a folder called 'Old Firefox Data'. I've tried Mozbackup to restore them without success. Anybody any ideas please? The m/c is a Packard-Bell iMedia D2525UK running an up to date Win 10 on a 2.6 Ghz Celeron with 3GB memory.

csqwared 19:46 26 Jun 2019

Not sure how you've made the backups but usually, if Firefox has made them via Bookmarks/ShowAllBookmarks/ImportandBackup it results in a .json file. Use the same sequence Bookmarks/ShowAll....... and at the ImportBackup select 'Restore' and point to the file you want to restore.

csqwared 19:55 26 Jun 2019

Ahh! See where you're coming from now, I have an 'Old Firefox Data' file too.

Same method applies.

Within that 'Data' folder there is a 'Bookmarkbackups' folder. Select 'Restore' from 'ImportBackup' as before and point to the latest file in 'Bookmarkbackups'.

griffon56 15:53 27 Jun 2019

Thank you for that csquared, but, forgive my ignorance, where will I find the instructions Import Backup and Restore, please?

csqwared 19:39 27 Jun 2019
Answer

If you go to the 'Bookmarks' tab at the top of the Firefox window, click on that and you get a 'drop down' box, first item being 'Show all Bookmarks'. Click on that and another 'drop down' box with three options, third one being 'Import and Backup'. Click on that and yet another 'drop down' box, two of the options being 'Backup' and 'Restore'. Click on 'Restore' and at the bottom of the 'drop down' box is 'Choose File'. Point it to the Data/backup.... file you want. If you don't have the 'Bookmarks' tab at the top of the window, Right click on a blank part of the window at the top where the window tabs are and select 'Menu Bar'.

griffon56 13:55 30 Jun 2019

Thank you very, very much for your good advice csquared. There were minor extra options but the instructions you gave worked a treat and I now have back all the useful links I was missing. Thanks again.

griffon56 13:58 30 Jun 2019

Dear FE and csquared, I clicked in error on the already ticked 'Is the Answer' and got the opposite result. Please ignore. Csquared's answer WAS the correct one and worked well.

csqwared 14:02 30 Jun 2019

griffon56

You're very welcome. Glad you are now sorted.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo Reno 2 Z review: Hands-on

Beck album covers ranked – his best artwork from the '90s to now

Best iPhone & iPad games 2019

iPhone SE 2 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs