how to renumber photos in Vista

susiepops 22:12 22 Aug 2007

I was surprised not to find a post on this subject.

Under XP if you selected all files in a folder renumbering was simple. With Vista it seems to be an impossible task with files/photos being renumbered haphazardly and the more so the more attempts you make. SOmehow I even lost 90 odd photos completely (fortunately backed up on a second drive).

I find it hard to believe that something so sim,ple and necessary cannot be achieved. Does anyone know the solution? Please

pimpers 00:33 23 Aug 2007

Susiepops.

You can try this one, I found this with a quick google.

click here

The info came from this forum.
click here

Is this what you mean?

Pimpers

Acx 03:42 23 Aug 2007

I'm Still using xp

As pimpers say’s. IrfanView has a batch rename.

If no one comes up with a better Vista solution try it and see.

susiepops 06:58 23 Aug 2007

I already use irfanview because, even with XP,sequential renumbering under Windows (where 11 comes after 1)was useless for slide shows etc.

I am even more disgruntled with Vista, which I have had for only a week and which cannot even achieve this.

There should not be a need to use a program outside of windows for something so basic.

DieSse 09:07 23 Aug 2007

I use this, which I find totally invaluable. Not just renumbering, but renaming, case changing and much more.

click here

ribo 10:01 23 Aug 2007

I am with DieSse here. Great program. J

susiepops 12:02 23 Aug 2007

I have upgraded Irfanview to version 4.0 and have tried using the program. However, it does not appear to do what I require. Perhaps you can help.

I have photos in 2 different folders, each numbered in order with different prefixes, I now wish to merge the photos into one folder but sorting photos from one into the other by similar subject. ( I hope this makes sense). Whilst windows allows this it will not let me renumber sequentially in the same order as I have placed them. If I transfer the photos into Irfanview it appears that it will not stick to the order I have placed them but re-sorts them into original number order. Previously under XP this was not a problem since WIndows would rename in the same order as in the window.

Is their a way around this?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?