How to recover a Micro SD card

RISC OS user 15:32 10 Feb 2018
Answered

I inserted a new Micro SD card into my Android Tablet and it caused no end of problems after it was formatted, so I removed the card and tried to use with my Windows PC but was informed the it needed to be formatted and then advised that the format was foreign. I then used the Disc Management within the Control Panel and was able to split the disc and it is now reporting 9GB RAW and 22GB RAW both marked as healthy primary partition. I have not been able to format it. Please see the JPeg. click here have tried various ways to recover the disc but has failed, help please.

I

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:54 10 Feb 2018

Try a cmomand prompt admin (or powershell(admin)) and use diskpart to clean the MD card of all partitions.

it should then show in disk management where you can initilaise and create a sinle partition and format it click here diskpart / list

diskpart

list disk

select disk {number}

clean

create partition primary

if you want to do it all in command prompt.

Use

rdave13 16:56 10 Feb 2018

Or try MiniTool free.

BRYNIT 19:50 10 Feb 2018

Or you could try the free version of EaseUS partition Master this will allow you to delete all partitions and then format the whole drive. If you cannot delete the partition to create one partition the SD card is faulty.

mole44 04:35 11 Feb 2018
Answer

I have in the past found this useful,it sets the card back to original settings.Per chance you've not got it "Cheap" from an on line auction site as their are loads of hooky cards out there,anyway here it is click here

wiganken2 11:25 11 Feb 2018

Did you know that SD cards have to be formatted in a special way? You should not use the formatting tools provided by Windows. See click here Hope it helps.

RISC OS user 11:43 11 Feb 2018

Thank you all for your assistance, I have tried and still failed, I have to agree with Mole44 that I did not pay enough for the card! You only get what you pay for.

RISC OS user 11:46 11 Feb 2018

Yes, I have used the SD card formatter as advised by Waganken2

qwbos 21:45 14 Feb 2018

Sandisk don't seem to have a problem with formatting SD cards the normal way. I've been doing that with my dashcam cards and not had any problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)