How to prevent credit card usage in a cybercafe

Muslimat79 18:09 19 Oct 2004

I have a cafe in Nigeria where fraud is rampant by using stolen credit card information. These cards are used in most of the internet cafe. Is there any software I can installed on every client connected to the internet that will prevent or block the use of credit card or the website as soon as checkout is clicked or before it is clicked? Please help me as I'm in dare need of any software that can do this.

Noelg23 20:29 19 Oct 2004

your best bet would be to do a Google search...I have never come across anything like this...

Jackcoms 21:29 19 Oct 2004

Wouldn't it be simpler to only accept cash payments and not card payments?

Pesala 22:11 19 Oct 2004

as this is not something I have ever come across before. If I understand the question rightly you wish to stop criminals from using your internet cafe to purchase goods online, not stop them paying you with stolen credit cards.

Since buying online requires secure encryption, perhaps it is possible to disable all the encryption options in your browser. You could try asking on the Opera Security/Privacy Forum: click here

In Opera Preferences, one can disable Security protocols, which would stop anyone using a credit card on some less secure sites. Any user could easily re-enable them, though there might be a way to make that difficult such as Opera's Kiosk mode.

The help file says: "Security protocols are used to communicate securely with sites where sensitive data, such as credit card information, is involved.

Disable SSL 2, SSL 3, and ciphers below 128 bits to prevent connections to less secure Web services. If you experience problems on secure sites, try re-enabling them."

spuds 23:34 19 Oct 2004

What you are trying to obtain is going to be a difficult task. Have you discussed this problem with your banking company, as they may have a possible solution.

In-house monitoring would be out of the question, for various legal and other reasons, I suppose!.

Muslimat79 10:06 11 Jul 2006

I do not accept Credit Card as payment method. I just want a software that I can use on all the client that will immediately, as setup, detect and block any credit card during checkout. Or Prevent using credit cards at all.

ArrGee 10:21 11 Jul 2006

This may be worth looking at click here

Jackcoms 14:54 11 Jul 2006

What's happened in the intervening 2 years since you were last here???

I'm slight;y confused, as you seem to contradict yourself. You say:

"I do not accept Credit Card as payment method".

But then:

"I just want a software that I can use on all the client that will immediately, as setup, detect and block any credit card during checkout".

If you do not accept credit cards, why do you need software to block their use?

Wouldn't a large notice saying "WE DO NOT ACCEPT CREDIT CARDS IN THIS ESTABLISHMENT" be simpler and cheaper?

Or have I missed the point?

Simsy 15:13 11 Jul 2006

I suspect pesala has it right...

"If I understand the question rightly you wish to stop criminals from using your internet cafe to purchase goods online, not stop them paying you with stolen credit cards."

Regards,

Simsy

Jackcoms 15:20 11 Jul 2006

Um, yes, point taken.

But spuds, in his post of 19/10/04, made a valid point - "Have you discussed this problem with your banking company, as they may have a possible solution"

Muslimat79 - have you?

Jimmy14 15:29 11 Jul 2006

it took you 21 months to answer to them posts back in October 2004, pheeewww!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts