How to partition an external 1.4 terabytes hard dr

nerawan 09:40 08 Nov 2010

Hi. I got a few months ago I got an external hard drive (1.5 TB). Now I want to partition it but I have Partition Magic 8.0 and it doesn't allow me.Any other program available in the web. Thanks for any info.

[email protected] 10:05 08 Nov 2010

Give this freebie a try

click here

johndrew 10:13 08 Nov 2010

You should be able to use Windows to do this.
Firstly plug the external HDD in and allow it to power up. Go to 'Start/Control Panel/Computer Management/Disk Management' and identify the drive right click on it and select 'Format'; follow the instructions.

It will take some time with a drive of this size and you will need to format each partition created.

Another option would be to use such as Acronis True Image.

Batch 10:26 08 Nov 2010

Out of interest, what is it about Partition Magic 8 that doesn't allow you to partition? Is PM8 unable to handle such a large drive or ......??

rawprawn 10:36 08 Nov 2010

Download Free Easus Parclick here Master

rawprawn 10:39 08 Nov 2010

Sorry click here scroll down to Easus Partition Master free

xania 13:36 08 Nov 2010

I think PM8 has trouble seeing HHD that are not formatted, but I got away with just formatting a small part of the whole drive. However, IMHO, PM8 is well past its best ever since being taken over by Symantec. I've nowdropped in in favour of Acronis EXCEPT where I want to partition something withou going into windows where the PM8 install disk is an excellent boot media straight into itself or dos.

nerawan 18:24 08 Nov 2010

thanks for the answers. I will try these days when I have time. I have already used 160 gygas (movies) so I can't format it now.

Batch asks out of curiosity.....I have use PM8 for about 6-7 years when external HD were not in use and HD were small in size compared to today sizes so I think PM8 could be out of date for theses actions. It sees my 2 HD(internal and external) and marks the External as BAD.

nerawan 18:35 08 Nov 2010

Hi John Drew. Now out of curiosity....If using Disk Managment necessarily The Hard Drive has to be Formatted first because I went there and the only options are Format and Delete partition. Not option for creating new partitions.

nerawan 19:04 08 Nov 2010

it doesn't give me the option to CREATE a new partition. This option appears GREY. There is another option RESIZE but I don't think that is the secure option.

rawprawn 09:57 09 Nov 2010

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?