How to manage the taskbar on a friends laptop

CurlyWhirly 21:20 01 Jul 2012
Answered

I know how to do it on my PC but my friend has a laptop where the taskbar is always displayed at the bottom of the screen and it's wide.

My taskbar is narrow and disappears when I move the mouse pointer away from the bottom of the screen as I have ticked the option "Auto hide the taskbar" under Properties.

There is also an option to enable "Wide icons" which I assume that unticking this option would mean that the current wide taskbar goes to a smaller width like what I have on my PC ?

On my friends laptop, when the option is ticked, the savings cannot be made as the (wide) taskbar obstructs the apply button so the changes cannot be saved.

Anyone who uses a laptop know how to solve this problem?

Cheers.

CurlyWhirly 18:27 02 Jul 2012

I will show her your solution the next time I visit.

Cheers :)

CurlyWhirly 21:58 04 Jul 2012

buteman, I just tried it and it didn't work :(

Altering the width of the taskbar isn't as important as getting the taskbar to auto-hide when the mouse pointer moves away from the bottom of the screen.

Any other suggestions please ?

CurlyWhirly 14:30 05 Jul 2012

rdave, this is on a laptop not a PC

For some reason, you can't drag the window 'off screen' a lot like I could on my PC.

The window has to stay within the confines of the screen area which is really annoying.

Also the option 'auto-hide the taskbar' doesn't work as I can't apply the changes (as the taskbar gets in the way of the Apply button)) and closing down the settings window means that nothing has changed as the changes don't get applied on exit.

I think I remember seeing an icon in the notification area of the taskbar about making backups of her data.

Perhaps if this notification is switched off, I may be able to apply the changes.

Thanks

CurlyWhirly 14:32 05 Jul 2012

buteman, I don't know whether the whole of the taskbar disappears or only the top part as I can't get the 'auto-hide' option to work.

lotvic 14:41 05 Jul 2012

left click, hold and drag the Taskbar to the left or right of screen - so that it is a vertical Taskbar instead of Horizontal. Now can you get at the rightclick menu?

CurlyWhirly 17:13 05 Jul 2012

lotvic, I don't know as I haven't tried that before.

I will let you know when I visit next :)

CurlyWhirly 18:59 06 Jul 2012

rdave13, I'm posting from my friends laptop now.

Yes it's strange that the Properties box won't go beyond the edge of the screen.

On my PC, the Properties box(es) can extend beyond the edge of the screen by quite a considerable margin.

The screen resolution is set at 1366 x 768 which is the recommended resolution.

When I see the preview on the Windows taskbar, the entire Properties box is shown but when I switch to the actual Window itself, the bottom of the Properties box is truncated.

CurlyWhirly 08:59 07 Jul 2012

buteman, yes I have tried that but I can't apply the settings as the Apply button is truncated off the screen.

Running Windows 7 Home Premium on the laptop.

CurlyWhirly 09:51 07 Jul 2012

I have found the problem in Appearance & Personalisation > Display.

The text size was set to large (along with a warning that not all the items will fit on the screen)

It is now set to medium and everything now fits on the screen although the text is harder to read.

There is the Magnify tool but it does take some getting used to.

It would be easier if you could magnify the text on the laptop as I can on my PC by pressing the CTRL key and using the mouse to temporarily make the text bigger or samller.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

RESOLVED

CurlyWhirly 13:33 07 Jul 2012

rdave13, thanks for the tips about Internet Explorer and Firefox.

All sorted now :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi 9 review

Apple has upgraded the iMac to make it twice as fast – and given the iMac Pro a quiet bump too

New iMac 2019 launch: Release date, price, features & specs

iMac 2019 : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique