How to keep imap e mails for longer

john bunyan 21:25 02 Feb 2018
Answered

I am slowyswitching from a POP e mail from my ISP to an imap Outlook e Mail. I do not want e mails to auto delete as I refer, sometimes, to e mails going back a year or more. I want to manually delete them. Also I want to delete imap e mails from my phone whilst retaining them on the PC. Could someone kindly walk me through the process?

rdave13 22:18 02 Feb 2018

john bunyan

Over the years I've never had problems with emails. Always used emails in the'cloud' as is today. AOL tied with Google Mail, Hotmail, Live and Outlook but always in the cloud. I don't need to save addresses as all done automatically. As for TalkTalk then they are the AOL suppliers now?

john bunyan 23:09 02 Feb 2018

rdave13

Not sure about AOL. I am with Talk Talk as ISP but use Outlook 2016 as a platform for several POP and imac e mail accounts . I have mainly used POP in the past but want to completely switch to Outlook so that if I move to another ISP then nothing would change. Not familiar with I cloud but will look.

Secret-Squirrel 09:49 03 Feb 2018
Answer

.......I do not want e mails to auto delete...........

Outlook doesn't delete emails automatically. They're probably being periodically archived and moved to a different folder.

Also I want to delete imap e mails from my phone whilst retaining them on the PC.

That's not the way IMAP works. If you delete from one device then the changes will be mirrored all other devices.

I have mainly used POP in the past but want to completely switch to Outlook so that if I move to another ISP then nothing would change.

With IMAP your messages are stored on the TalkTalk server and any changes are synchronised with all devices. If you leave your ISP then all the messages on the server will be deleted (although copies of them will probably remain locally).

With POP accounts all your emails are stored on the device and nothing will change if you move to another ISP.

I can't see how you're going to benefit by changing from POP to IMAP.

Forum Editor 10:03 03 Feb 2018

You can archive IMAP account emails to an offline location, but to be honest I agree with Secret Squirrel - I don't see why you don't just set up a POP account in Outlook.

john bunyan 10:29 03 Feb 2018

Thanks both. So can I change the Outlook account I have from imac to POP? If so will messages come to my phone and PC- if so and I open a message on phone, will it be on PC?

Forum Editor 11:04 03 Feb 2018

Just set up a new account in Outlook, selecting POP when asked wich type of account you want. Go through the setup process, and as soon as you have received the test email confirming that the account is working you can delete the IMAP account.

"...will messages come to my phone and PC- if so and I open a message on phone, will it be on PC?"

Yes, and yes (provided you have set the POP account up on both devices).

Forum Editor 11:10 03 Feb 2018
  john bunyan 11:27 03 Feb 2018

*Forum Editor *

Thanks again -,I will read and digest. As I have informed a few people of my Outlook e mail address, can I simply change it from imap to POP , to avoid having to have a new address?

john bunyan 11:33 03 Feb 2018

PS If I switch my Outlook to POP then switch to a new ISP, how does that work? Sorry to be so “thick”!

alanrwood 13:52 03 Feb 2018

You need to just set up a pop3 email account on your phone but select the pop3 protocol instead of IMAP. The port numbers are different between pop3/smtp and IMAP so get the correct info from you new ISP first. Then follow the guide that the FE suggested.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

The humble pint glass is redesigned from bottoms up by design legend Sir Kenneth Grange

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone X (2018)