how to get rid of the Windows Log On screen

bpzoom 21:54 06 Mar 2007

WINXP. Every time I come out of standby I get the log on screen instead of the desktop. There is no password set on this machine. There are two accounts. In a previous thread months ago the advice was to take the tick out of the box "users must enter a username and password to use this computer". Im my machine that box is not ticked anyway. Does anyone know how I can avoid this pesky logon screen please?

SANTOS7 21:55 06 Mar 2007

Bypass The Windows XP Log On Screen

To make logon an unattended process:

Click [Start] [Run] and type
control userpasswords2
Click [OK]
The [User Accounts] Property Sheet displays.
On [Users] tab, clear the [Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer] check box.
Click [Apply].
Enter a user name and password that should be used to logon automatically in the dialog box that appears.
Click [OK].
Go to [Control Panel] [User Accounts] [Change the Way Users Log On and Off].
Uncheck [Use the Welcome Screen] and [Use Fast User Switching]

bpzoom 22:10 06 Mar 2007

Thanks SANTOS7. I already had gone down that route only to find the "On [Users] tab, clear the [Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer] check box." already was unticked on my machine. I have just tried TweakUI power tool and am waiting to see if it has removed the logon screen after standby.

beeuuem 22:35 06 Mar 2007

Do you use a screensaver?
If you do, look in Display > Screensaver and see if 'On resume,password protect' is ticked.

fullyfitted 22:49 06 Mar 2007

bpzoom 09:44 09 Mar 2007

Thank you all,beeuuem was right and I am no longer bothered by the login screen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

ManvsMachine and other artists put Apple's iMac Pro to the test using powerful rendering tools

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?