How to format a USB flash as a HD? Help?

GloriaM 05:26 11 Jun 2010

Some programs can be installed only on C and D hard drives ( PC running on XP Pro).
I want to install some of my software on a USB flash drive and open it on a different PC.

The question is how to format a USB flash drive (8Gb), so it can be recognised as a proper hard drive like C and D and installing any software on it will be possible?

I’m not a much of techie and a simple to understand instruction is much appreciated .

Thanks in advance to all who help me with this!

MAT ALAN 07:54 11 Jun 2010

click here
click here

enough info here to get ya going...

mgmcc 08:29 11 Jun 2010

As you can see from MAT ALAN's links, the programs that you can install and run in any PC from a USB drive are "portable" applications.

Although you could install conventional programs on a USB drive, you wouldn't be able to run them in a different PC because their entries in the registry would be missing.

MAT ALAN 08:35 11 Jun 2010

click here
you could use this....

onthelimit 09:00 11 Jun 2010

That looks like a really useful prog - bookmarked, thanks.

woodchip 19:15 15 Jun 2010

Most programs only run on the PC you load them on, but a tip is, look in the Program folder for the main exe file that starts the program and double click it to see if it will run

ronalddonald 11:55 24 Jun 2010

have tried right clicking on the icon of the pen drive in my computer there should be a way to frmat the drive there

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

ManvsMachine and other artists put Apple's iMac Pro to the test using powerful rendering tools

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?