How to format + set up laptop booting from DOS CD

George546564453 02:05 15 Oct 2018

Hello,

I have a Windows 10 laptop and I want to wipe all data, format the hard drive and remove any partitions then install Linux. It doesn't work at all but I can boot up on an MS-DOS 6.22 CD.

How do I go about the wiping/formatting/remove partitions? It doesn't see the hard drive. Nothing is physically damaged.

Thanks a lot,

George

alanrwood 10:28 15 Oct 2018

Use Fdisk which is the MS-Dos program for those functions. Just be careful when using it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:34 15 Oct 2018

It doesn't see the hard drive.

because its probably a gpt drive not mbr and DOS can't see it.

you will need to boot from a windows 10 DVD or USB and use diskpart/ clean to remove all partitions and data from the drive click here or use a gparted linux disk to wipe the drive click here

George546564453 07:36 23 Oct 2018

Thanks! Mission accomplished.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Game of Thrones' Emilia Clarke spoofs all your favourite stock photo clichés

MacBook Air 2018 review

Comment supprimer un compte Facebook ?