how to find who's linked to my photos?

mco 13:28 26 May 2007

I have a couple of photos of my daughter on an educational site I have and in the last month or so my stats are showing people viewing the photos directly, not from my site- I think the term is 'hotlinking'. It's annoying because they are not coming from another site so I can't tell where they've been put up. The various ISP's suggest it is something bona fide and educational, so I probably wouldn't object, but is there anyway at all of locating the source of this hotlinking? I know I can change the name of the photos concerned and break the link, or even put a message on instead - but is there another way?

Forum Editor 18:21 26 May 2007

by uing a .htaccess file in the root of your webspace. If you're not familiar with the process I suggest that you click here

If hotlinking gets out of hand it can quickly deplete your bandwidth allowance, and you'll end up with unpleasant bills from your host.

mco 21:25 26 May 2007

I had a look at that earlier on. I think initially I might just post a message on the same link and then see what happens. At the moment it is only happening two or three times a day but if it gets worse I'll certainly do as you say.

Gingermum 13:20 08 Jun 2007

Try changing the name of the photo if it's not too much hassle. Should stop it for a while.

Have you tried googling the name of the photo? It might work.

mco 16:44 08 Jun 2007

I've changed the name of the photos on the site, and have put up a jpg file with the original photos' names saying it's been linked to without permission - just to see if I get any clues as to where it's come from - but |I haven't yet. I've googled the photo but with no luck so far. Am getting more hits on the old photos(the one I've now put a message on) and so in another week or so I'll delete them and do this ht.access thing FE says. Just still curious, that's all.

mco 16:44 08 Jun 2007

I'll tick resolved, because at least I'll know how to stop it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough, a non-profit against sexual misconduct

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)