How to download IE 6

Andsome 08:48 14 Oct 2003

I have XP running IE 6 of course. I want to download IE 6 to a folder and then save it to CD so that I can install it for a friend. She has a very slow internet connection, and the download on her machine keeps stopping part way through. As I have IE 6 on my computer already, I have not been able to find a download.

Andsome 09:14 14 Oct 2003

Many thanks. Unfortunately it only downloaded the setup file, and I obviously don't want to open the setup file. I will have to search on all my old PCA disc's.

Stuartli 09:24 14 Oct 2003

There's an easy, built-in way to get rid of the branding in IE and without any need to edit the registry or download any software...:-)

First close down Internet Explorer then click Start and Run. In the Open dialog box type:

rundll32.exe iedkcs32.dll,Clear

(note the space after .exe and comma before Clear)

and click OK. Easiest way is to copy and paste the line itself.

After restarting Internet Explorer the annoying ISP branding should disappear.

If you have Spywareblaster you can use the IE feature to add your name or other text to the bar if you wish afterwards.

Using a cover disk for installing IE6 usually means lots of downloads of critical updates etc - best to get the latest version from Microsoft's website.

Andsome 10:05 14 Oct 2003

You are a star. Many thanks. I can now do my Knight in Shining armour act.

Andsome 08:33 15 Oct 2003

You are right. On her old machine with a slow connection, it took 1 hour and 19 minutes to update. There are still 43 offered update which I have yet to look at, I downloaded all the critical ones.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

FIFA 19 review

Design a vector map packed with creatures and landmarks

iPhone XS vs iPhone X: What is the difference?

Comment désactiver la lecture automatique des vidéos sur Chrome ?