How does Netsky keep getting in

Lillylou 11:42 29 Mar 2004

I keep getting a Netsky virus, which is easy to get rid of but how does it keep getting through my up to date security. I never have the Preview Pane on and I never open an attachment unless I know who has sent it, but when one of them comes as an email it infects my PC. I block sender and bounce it back is this right. So far I have not been able to trace where it comes from so I can tell the person to clean their machine.

cycoze 11:53 29 Mar 2004

Asking the obvious here , you say "I keep getting a Netsky virus" , do you mean , i keep getting sent the virus ? or you keep getting infected?You say you have uptodate security , this does include an AntiVirus program , doesent it ?

Many Viruses these days infect a machine and pick a random email address from the address book to use in the ¬¨from¬¨ field when it sends itself out (say [email protected]), people who then recieve the virus think it has come from God , in true fact it has not , it has been sent from a machine who just has God`s address in its address book , it has been spoofed/Faked.

Lillylou 12:01 29 Mar 2004

Yes I do have Antivirus and I keep getting sent the virus in an email which I don't open. I block sender and bounce back and delete. Then I turn off system restore and run the two removal tools I have. As I said it is easy to get rid of them but its a pain all the time.

The Spires 12:01 29 Mar 2004

Quite a few on here use Mail Washer click here .Rather than bouncing the mail back it's better just to delete the message without touching it. As cycoze says it's probably a spoof and you could be helping to distribute the visus by bouncing it.

cycoze 12:17 29 Mar 2004

You do not need to keep switching system restore off and/or running the two removal tools you have , not unless your machine becomes infected , just having the mail come into your email account/program doesent infect it , some can infect just by previewing with the preview pane(good idea to turn preview off).

As The Spires dont bounce the mail back , it wont be going to the infected machine anyway, treat it the same as spam , just delete it , bounce backs just create more congestion.

Lillylou 12:23 29 Mar 2004

When one of these emails appears I get a message from AVG saying I have the virus that is why I run the removal tools. I thought you had to turn off system restore.

The Spires 12:33 29 Mar 2004

If you use Mailwasher you can delete emails off the mailserver before they get to your machine. Also quite a few IPS's do a virus scan & delete infected messages before they get to you, I know BT do & others, often this is optional but free.

Lillylou 12:38 29 Mar 2004

I had Mailwasher and it worked fine for a few days and then it won't let me read my emails and I uninstalled it.

medicine hat 12:42 29 Mar 2004

I seem to receive an email each day from myself. Yeah, like that's going to convince me to open the attachment.

The Spires 12:47 29 Mar 2004

I don't use AVG but is AVG telling you the mail has a virus in it rather than you have the virus on your Pc. I you scan a zip file for instance that has a virus in it your AV with inform you that the zip contains a virus but unless you run the execute file you wont be harmed.

Lillylou 14:17 29 Mar 2004

I will read the warning next time I get one and let you know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?