How does an e-mail address disappear overnight

bigfooted 12:13 01 Sep 2017
Answered

I have two e-mail addresses, both of which are used on a daily basis. Last Tuesday, 29/08/2017, I used both addresses to check my mail. The session ended with no problems and I ran Advanced System Care program before shutting down which I normally do. I tried to log in to my e-mail addresses on Wednesday 30/08/2017, I accessed the first one with no problems but the second address kept telling me the wrong username or password has been entered and access is denied. I found this odd because I use Kaspersky Password Manager to handle all my passwords and it has not let me down so far. I checked the details held in KPM and they are correct but just in case, I entered the details manually and again got refused access. After several attempts I contacted my Internet provider, Talktalk, and explained the problem to their help desk. They told me to clear my browser cache and try again, which I did to no effect. This happened FOUR times, contacting the help desk, being put through to their "Tech Team", spending time on each occasion running through the same questions and being advised to clear my browser cache even though I explained that I had done that each time. I tried using Chrome instead of IE11, no luck, I then went into My Account details and checked my existing e-mail addresses held by Talktalk and to my surprise the address giving the problem was not shown. I explained this to the "Tech team" member I was in touch with at the time and he told me he would forward my problem "Up the line" and I could expect a contact in 3 to 5 days. I do not consider that good service. I am running Win7 using IE11 (or Chrome if needed) and wondered if anyone had any suggestions other than clear your browser cache or get a new provider?

Secret-Squirrel 12:44 01 Sep 2017

I then went into My Account details and checked my existing e-mail addresses held by Talktalk and to my surprise the address giving the problem was not shown.

In that case there's probably nothing you or I can do to fix it. Hopefully the TalkTalk second-line team will be able to recover it. However, have you tried changing the password? You can click on the "Forgotten your password?" link on the webmail login page.

If that doesn't help then you may want to send an email to that problem account from a working email address and see if it gets bounced back to you with an "unknown sender" (or similar) message. Regardless of the outcome you won't be able to do anything about it but it may prove helpful in determining whether TalkTalk have really lost your email address or whether it's simply missing from your account page.

bigfooted 12:50 01 Sep 2017

Hi Secret-Squirrel, the tech guy at Talktalk suggested this but when we tried to change the password it would not allow the change as I had to input my username and existing password first, and this was rejected. it was after this attempt that he said he would pass the problem on. I will try to send an e-mail and see what happens. Thanks for the quick reply and help.

Secret-Squirrel 12:57 01 Sep 2017
Answer

You shouldn't normally need to know the existing password using the method I suggested - here's the direct link for it.

Forum Editor 15:54 01 Sep 2017

When you use the link that Secret-Squirrel gave you, you'll need to enter the recovery email address that you gave Talktalk when you signed up.

Once you've done that, you'l get a message telling you that an email will be sent to that address, providing you with a link where you can reset your password.

Sometimes, these emails are classified as junk by mail clients, so it's worth checking your junkmail folder.

Act quickly when you get the email, you'll only have 30 minutes before the link becomes inactive.

bigfooted 10:49 02 Sep 2017

Thanks again for the help, I did as Secret-Squirrel suggested and sent an e-mail to my missing address using both Outlook Express and TalkTalk Webmail and neither has bounced back so presumably the address does exist. I will try the link Secret-squirrel has given and come back.

bigfooted 10:59 02 Sep 2017

Back again and success. I fail to see why the so called Techies from Talktalk could not sort this out but a five minute post on PC Advisor not only identified the problem but gave a solution that worked. I am able now to access both addresses and am grateful to everyone who gave their time and expertise to help, especially Secret-Squirrel for the link. Many, many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Inside the concept art behind Nicolas Cage's most bizarre film, Mandy

MacBook Air 2018 review

Comment supprimer un compte Facebook ?