How do I wipe data from Iomega hard drive?

Nagarakshita 12:11 27 Dec 2018

I have a Desktop external had drive UBS 2.0, several years old which I haven't used for a long time. I now want to pass it on, but want to wipe the data first. How do I do this please?

KEITH 1955 12:23 27 Dec 2018

go into my pc where it shows your drives now right click on the one you want to wipe clean and choose format

lotvic 14:16 27 Dec 2018

That won't work to securely delete files MJS WARLORD. Files can still easily be recovered with free software click here

Forum Editor 14:24 27 Dec 2018

lotvic is right - formatting a drive does not totally erase the files.

Search for an application called DBAN and use that.

KEITH 1955 17:05 27 Dec 2018

sorry if I am wrong but I thought formatting always over wrote data with gibberish that could only be cracked by police and security services.

525kev 18:34 27 Dec 2018

CCleaner has a nifty option to wipe data and it's FREE Tools-Drive Wiper-Wipe Entire Drive-Advance Overwrite 3 Passes

David Johnson 10:03 28 Dec 2018

I really appreciate Nagarakshita that you are concerned for your personal data.

I want to recommend one Free Program & one commercial program, both have their merits & demerits.

Starting with Free Tool - DBAN without any second though, just not always happy with its GUI.

If you want to go for paid version and want to erase/wipe any particular files/folders/drive BitRaser for File is a DIY easy & powerful utility for you.

alanrwood 10:18 28 Dec 2018

Hi MJS Warlord

A normal format simply deletes the contents of the disk records. To securely delete the data a program such as that recommended must be used. In the case of a traditional hard drive all the data must be written over several times as a single pass will not usually securely delete the actual track completely.

Forum Editor 14:43 28 Dec 2018

"I thought formatting always over wrote data with gibberish that could only be cracked by police and security services."

That's not the case - formatting a drive removes the address tables, so you can't see the files, but the file data are not erased, or written over with gibberish. Anyone with the necessary software can recover the contents.

Guest 1234512760 01:28 03 Jan 2019

I have a Desktop external had drive UBS 2.0, several years old which I haven't used for a long time. I now want to pass it on, but want to wipe the data first. How do I do this please?

If you want to delete all data saved on the external hard drive and prevent any possibility of data recovery by others, please DO NOT just delete or format every partition on the hard drive, because that only makes the data invisible to the operating system, but they are still there and can be easily recovered by some data recovery software. To completely and permanently erase everything on the external hard drive, you need a professional hard drive eraser.

wee eddie 10:13 03 Jan 2019

Our Guest is a Spammer - FE told

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to Watch Honor 20 Launch Live Stream

Apple has upgraded the MacBook Pro

MacBook Pro 2019 release date, price & specs

Comment télécharger des films sur un iPad sans utiliser iTunes ?