How do I use the Fax with Win XP Home

Durko 12:48 14 Nov 2004

I'm on NTL Broadband for searching the net etc, which runs from the "Set Top Box" and was configured by their engineer. The internal modem (prebuilt into my pc )is an Aztech CNR2900 V.92.

I'd be grateful if somebody could advise if it's possible, using Win XP Home,to set up what looks like a fax facility. If so, what's the procedure?

Thanks
Durko

Rayuk 12:59 14 Nov 2004

Any use to you
click here

spuds 15:01 14 Nov 2004

Not sure about the NTL network system, but you may find that a fax will not transmit/receive via broadband, only by analogue dial-up.

Irishman 15:29 14 Nov 2004

You will have to run a connection lead from the modem to your telephone point. The NTL connection has nothing whatsoever to do with faxing.

Stuartli 17:11 14 Nov 2004

XP doesn't install the Fax utility by default); it's enabled via Add/Remove Components (in Add/remove Programs).

Stuartli 17:13 14 Nov 2004

As stated by Irishman, you will have to use your analogue faxmodem to send and receive faxes - you can also use a fax to e-mail service such as that provided by Tiscali for its subscribers to receive faxes.

Stuartli 17:13 14 Nov 2004

As stated by Irishman, you will have to use your analogue faxmodem to send and receive faxes - you can also use a fax to e-mail service such as that provided by Tiscali for its subscribers to receive faxes.

pj123 17:51 14 Nov 2004

You can't send faxes via broadband.

You will still need your analogue modem connected, but forget Fax with Win XP Home.

Get yourself Supervoice which comes free with a lot of analogue modem installation drivers.

I am on Broadband but still have an analogue modem connected just for sending faxes, using Supervoice.

To receive faxes I use Trinite at click here which means I get an 0870 telephone number and all faxes go in to my email box. It costs me £23 per year but I don't have to keep my computer switched on all the time.

Stuartli 09:04 15 Nov 2004

As with all Windows operating systems over the years there is always an excellent fax program available.

It used to be assessed and installed through the files wms.exe (Windows Messaging Service which is laid out exactly like Outlook Express) and Awfax.exe - in XP it's the Fax Console, installed from Add/Remove Components.

It does virtually everything you would require from a fax program, including sending and receiving, and I find it perfectly adequate for my purposes.

However, I do use the free Tiscali fax to e-mail service to avoid having to have the system switched on just to receive the odd fax.

pj123 11:22 15 Nov 2004

Stuartli, The last time checked the Tiscali free fax to email service you had to have Tiscali as your PAYG ISP. Is that now not the case?

anchor 16:37 15 Nov 2004

I am sure you are correct. Just sign up to a Tiscali PAYG account, and ensure you log on every 3-4 weeks to keep the account active.

That way you have all the benefits.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?