How Do I Unzip & Convert mp3 Downloads To WMP?

AlanRLong50 23:09 23 Oct 2005

Hello and thank you for reading this.I've got Windows Media Player 10 on my computer with Windows XP SP2. I've got some music tracks downloaded from the internet in mp3 format. I would like to know how to convert these mp3 files in WMP10 to improve the quality on playback please? Also, I would like to make them 'protected' rather than 'unprotected' as well. Can this be done please? Although I'm new to computing (6 months now), I'm not sure how to reverse the sound compression in mp3 files nor convert them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

splork 23:17 23 Oct 2005

You can't improve the quality, once they're compressed then the extraneous audio information is lost (extraneous to whatever level of compression has been applied).

Kev.Ifty 23:49 23 Oct 2005

These MP3's, WMP10 will play MP3's at the same play back quality as WMA Files. So i don't think you will gain any advantage by converting them.

If it is a sound quality issue, then it's probably just a low quality MP3.

If you want to burn a CD and play that Disk on an ordinary player ie: in the car. Then you're going to have to convert to WAV.

What you mean by 'protected'... I don't know. Do you want to stop other users of the PC from accessing the files? Make the containing folder private.

;-0 Kev

These MP3's, WMP10 will play MP3's at the same play back quality as WMA Files. So i don't think you will gain any advantage by converting them.

If you want to burn a CD and play that Disk on an ordinary player ie: in the car. Then you're going to have to convert to WAV.

What you mean by 'protected'... I don't know. Do you want to stop other users of the PC from accessing the files? Make the containing folder private.

;-0 Kev

;-0 Kev

DieSse 00:06 24 Oct 2005

Yup - you can't get any extra qality back from an mp3 compression. It's a *lossy* compression - ie it saves space by actually throwing away some of the original sound *quality*. And the more compression is used, the worse the sound quality gets.

In mp3 files you will often be told the compression, via the bit-rate.

128 is the commonest bitrate - wich gives OK quality - 192 and 256 are much better - 64 is pretty dire - but OKish for speech.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)