how do I switch my sound on

Housten 17:36 22 Jun 2018

Good Afternoon, Gentlemen, I have committed a stupid in as much as I have switched off the sound on my computer. I had been having some problems and - eventually - switched on ALL the services in msconfig.exe. After having sorted them all out I have realised that the sound is still off. I have gone through the list of services several times, but short of switching them ALL on again and then going through and stopping the ones I do not wish, I am hoping some kind person will know which service I have to turn on to get the sound back!!!

ALL replies will be gratefully received.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:40 22 Jun 2018

The only service I can think of is Windows Audio

Housten 18:00 23 Jun 2018

Good Afternoon, Fruit Bat /\0/\,

Thank you for your post. When I checked my Services 'Windows Audio' was already ticked. So I went back to the start and went through the whole lot again. To be honest I don't know which one that I ticked that changed the audio to on, but I am quite happy.

I would like to comment in passing : It is a pity that there is not a list of the Services listed that describe in detail each Service and exactly what it does together with what it can also change or otherwise harm. I think that would be well worth keeping an eye so that when anything "odd" happens on your computer you could go straight to it and see which Service has influenced your computer. Just a thought.

rdave13 18:35 23 Jun 2018
  MJS WARLORD 10:40 24 Jun 2018

try this

1. Go to device manager/ sounds and mic tabs then right click and uninstall drivers even if they dont have a yellow triangle on them. Windows will reinstall them on restart. 2. In sounds/playback tab right click and disable the realtek digital output. just above the icon when using SPEAKERS you should see a green tick in the speaker icon , right click if missing. When you plug in your headphones the icon will go out and if you scroll down you will see a new one for headphones . when you swap between speakers and phones it takes a few seconds to find new device. 3. check properties tab on both headphones .... green jack highlighted and microphone pink jack. finally at bottom right corner where the speaker icon is change the tab to realtec high def audio , i have my volume at 50%
  Housten 10:48 24 Jun 2018

Good Morning, Everyone,

Thank you to all who have posted a reply.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:03 24 Jun 2018

click here is a good site showing exactly which services are needed and which can safely be switched off.

The linked page show the latest win 10 version 1803 but the others are also available including windows 8 -7- vista etc.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple