How do I stop Microsoft Word 2010

wee eddie 19:57 26 Mar 2019

re-dating old letters when I revisit them. It is extremely frustrating, as I then have to look in Properties for the date I wrote it.

However I don't really wish to stop the current date being put into the letter that I am writing

lotvic 22:19 26 Mar 2019

Problem: When I open Letters/Documents the date changes automatically and shows today’s date. I want them to retain the date they were created.

Answer: To retain the dates letters were written, turn off automatic update on opening documents. The date updates each time document is opened because it is a DATE field, which always provides the current system date. You need a different field, the CREATEDATE field, which is updated once, when you create the document, and then stays the same forever after. For existing Documents** made from a template with a DATE field or Document with DATE field made via Insert, Date & Time (if box is ticked for automatically update it turns the inserted Date into a Date field) : To change your DATE field to a CREATEDATE field, Press Alt+F9 to display the field code thus: {DATE\@"dd mmmm yyyy"} Type CREATE before DATE thus: {CREATEDATE\@"dd mmmm yyyy"} Press Alt+F9 to toggle back Press F9 to update (pressing F9 to update will make the date go back to when document was created) If you put a CREATEDATE field in a document template, the template itself will always display the date it was created, but when you create a new document based on the template, the document will display the date IT (the document) was created. **The nice thing about this is that the date that the document was created is stored within it at creation, so you can change a DATE field to CREATEDATE at any time to recover that original date even if the DATE field has updated to the current date. {DATE\@"dd mmmm yyyy"} will update to current date every time document is opened {CREATEDATE\@"dd mmmm yyyy"} will always show the date when the document was created and stays the same forever after. ~~~~~ Notes based on original source: answers.microsoft.com

++++++++++++++++++++++ Extra notes: If the date is displayed in the header or footer, double-click the header or footer. Select the date. Press Ctrl+Shift+F9 to "unlink" the date field, i.e. to fix its value. There is also a PRINTDATE field for returning when the document was last printed and a SAVEDATE field for when the document was last saved. In most cases, one or more of those will provide whatever date you need.
click here

(sorry about the block - lack of paragraphs - copied and pasted from my tips folder and subjected to PCA's forum formatting LOL)

wee eddie 22:40 26 Mar 2019

Tried pressing Alt+F9. There's a flashy and nothing happens

lotvic 23:39 26 Mar 2019

Hmm, works for me. Perhaps it depends on original type of insert for the date. Try the tips for Word 2010 on wordribbon.tips.net ClickHere

wee eddie 09:27 27 Mar 2019

Thanks - Will give them a try

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

How to create a robot painting in Photoshop

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

French Days 2019 : dates, sites participants & bons plans