How do I stop floating/sticky videos

wiganken2 19:30 21 Jun 2018

I use Firefox web browser v60.0.2 (64 bit) and my OS is Windows 8.1 (64 bit). I know how to stop web page videos from autoplaying but how do I stop the video frame from following me as I scroll down the web page? I believe this action is called various names such as “floating video”, “sticky video” and “floating frame” and it is activated by the user scrolling action causing the video frame to stay on-screen in the bottom right hand corner. I believe this excessive “in-your-face and hiding web page content” issue has been around for a couple of years now and searches have revealed many people complaining about this aggressive behaviour but I can’t find any answers as to how to stop it happening. I don’t mind the videos themselves but I do not want them following me around. There are some suggestions out there (browser add-ons and java-script in greasemonky) but none work so I thought I would ask in this forum. Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:46 21 Jun 2018

I use adblock to remove them completely after viewing once

wee eddie 20:11 21 Jun 2018

Malwarebytes?

wiganken2 21:36 21 Jun 2018

I look at "News" type web pages in which the video content changes a lot as the news changes. This makes using Adblock Plus impractical to use because I would forever be manually blocking every new video they add. I am after something that will do it automatically. Wee eddie - I can't see how Malwarebytes would work so perhaps you can clarify what you mean? Thanks.

redmike58 22:54 13 Jul 2018

The choice is very limited but In Firefox you can go to 'about:config' then type 'autoplay' which should give you two results. Change the first choice to 'false'. This will stop videos just openly starting on any site but unfortunately will not stop the floating video. If you close the floating video it should allow you to read the rest of the page free of it. That's the best solution I can find at present. Other choices involve possible TamperMonkey or GreaseMonkey but would be impracticasl for each individual site.

wiganken2 08:10 14 Jul 2018

As you can see I have not had any solution offered so I reckon there isn't one but thanks for your effort. Maybe a solution will exist in time.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi 8 Review

Adobe confirms it’s working on a full Photoshop for the iPad

Apple announces new MacBook Pros for 2018

Qu’est-ce qu’Amazon Prime ?