How do I Perminently delete data

  PhiltheFragger 16:12 04 Sep 2008

Have a mate who has upgraded his Pc and wants to sell/ donate his old one, He had data on the hard drive which needs wiping off

what is the best way,

we dont want people further down the line to be able to access his docs


  GaT7 16:15 04 Sep 2008

Use DBAN click here. G

  Technotiger 16:19 04 Sep 2008

click here this is free and includes what you are looking for.

  kalignorgna 16:20 04 Sep 2008

ive used Darik's Boot and Nuke or DBAN for short does the job not the fastest but is free, its basicly a high level format wich CAN damage ur HDD click here. then there killdisk wich u can download from majorgeeks click here which is vry good and last is DiskDeleter click here don't know this one but found it via majorgeeks which I trust for stuff like this

  PhiltheFragger 16:24 04 Sep 2008

Thanks, the DBAN looks like it will wipe the entire drive, I want to keep windows etc intact, just lose the personal data.

will have a look at the other one

  GaT7 16:48 04 Sep 2008

"I want to keep windows etc intact, just lose the personal data."

You need Eraser for that click here. G

  rawprawn 17:30 04 Sep 2008

Follow the advice from Crossbow7

  PhiltheFragger 17:46 04 Sep 2008

Thanks guys

  Technotiger 18:42 04 Sep 2008

So which one did it for you??

  Davy 43 10:59 03 Nov 2008

Hi Folks,

I need some help please, I have a Toshiba Laptop & I want to sell it on as spares/repair with a clean HD. The problem is that it has a graphics chip failure, therefore no screen to view. I assume that I will have to remove drive from laptop, but what will I need to do the job of wiping data from it? It doesn't matter if it's wiped totally clean, as I have all the supplied discs including O/S which will go with laptop.

Thanks in advance,


This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 and 32 review – hands-on

When is the next Apple event?

Gmail : comment annuler l’envoi d’un e-mail ?