How do I make a replica of my hard drive in real time?

MikeSA 20:32 10 Aug 2013

How do I go about making an exact replica of my hard drive in real time so that, in the event of a hard drive crash, all I need to do is simply to replace the crashed hard drive with the replica? Is this ever possible?

john bunyan 21:07 10 Aug 2013

Many here prefer Acronis True Image (ATI). Have a look via Google. I prefer to partition my hard drive into C: - for all system and program files and (in my case) F: where I keep all my self generated data, under a folder "My Documents" with the usual sub folders for Word, Photos, Music etc. I find it easier to make frequent mirror images of this folder (daily) using Freefilesynch, set to make a copy of the "left" folder (on F drive) to the "right" folder on the second drive. This is far quicker than ATI, but it does not work for system and program files, so I make an ATI image of my C drive about every week on an external drive. ATI would work on a non partitioned drive but it is far more cumbersome. W7has its own backup system if you have it, but I found it too long winded

wiz-king 17:14 12 Aug 2013

I dont know of any program that will make a backup in real time. Most take a long time to do even incremental backups. You could set it to run every night but this would use up a lot of disc space, so you would have to delete the older ones frequently.

john bunyan 18:30 12 Aug 2013

If you have 2 drives in a Raid 1 (see Google) array I believe a real time duplicate is made. Trouble is, if a fault or virus occurs on one it will be on the other, so only of use for a physical fault on the drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Explore Milton Glaser's iconic poster designs from the 1960s to present, including Bob Dylan, I…

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts