How do I hit site successfully first time?

Tj_El 19:30 25 Feb 2003

Hi,

This might be a simple one - I hope....

On my PC at work running Win2K, when i type in the site name in the address bar e.g. pcadvisor.co.uk, without the 'www' in front, the site is accessed ok.

At home PC running XP Home, when I do the same, I get the msn search result page from which I need to select the site.

Question is can I get my PC at home to behave like the one at work and go straight to the site?

Thanks.

Tj_El

Lú-tzé 19:56 25 Feb 2003

There is an option somewhere in IE to automatically put in the www - sorry I don't know where it is. Have a look in the options.

Lú-tzé 19:57 25 Feb 2003

There is an option somewhere in IE to automatically put in the www - sorry I don't know where it is. Have a look in the options.

graham 20:01 25 Feb 2003

Is your PC at work on a network? The server may be set up to put the 'www' in.

Tj_El 20:04 25 Feb 2003

graham
Yes PC at work is on a network...

Does that mean I can't set my PC to behave in a
similar fashion?

graham 20:11 25 Feb 2003

mmmm

I've just tried putting in 'cryinggame.co.uk' without http or www. it works on AOL and IE!

graham 20:22 25 Feb 2003

Thought it may be cookies, but it works to a site I haven't been to before, cnn.com

Does this mean 'click here' won't work?

Tj_El 20:38 25 Feb 2003

It is possible that it has to do with cookies. I also tried 'cryinggame.co.uk' and that worked ok however 'click2music.co.uk' didn't...... ???

The 'click here' link that are embedded in threads work.

graham 20:47 25 Feb 2003

Think we need some help with this one!

Tj_El 21:15 25 Feb 2003

bump....

jazzypop 21:36 25 Feb 2003

To check your browser settings, see click here and click here - if it is not an issue at your end, then there is a problem with a non-standard domain name, a redirection or similar.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?