how do i go about formating a DVD+RW

Tooling Enterpri 11:22 14 Aug 2007

Nero 7 ultra edition & Blaze media pro wil not write data to my discs they say the disc is not formated i can write cd-r dvd-r no problem
is there something wrong with my Sony DVD RW DW-U10A DVD/CD-R ?

johndrew 11:43 14 Aug 2007

Nothing wrong with your DVD-RW.

To use RW media it needs to be formatted first. Normal CDs/DVDs don`t need this because once written they stay that way.

To format a DVD-RW, open Nero. Select the DVD tab (top center of the window) go to the Data icon (looks like a page) and select `Format/Prepare Rewritable DVD` and follow the instructions.

Stuartli 11:50 14 Aug 2007

I very rarely use RW media, but I've never formatted it nor needed to.

It's normally done if you wish to use such a disk as a form of hard drive.

Tooling Enterpri 12:02 14 Aug 2007

I cant see this option please let me know where to look thanks

pj123 14:08 14 Aug 2007

I use DVD and CD RW discs and as Stuartli says I have never formatted them. There is no need to format them. Just use them like a DVD-R and use Nero in Multisession mode.

But if you really do want to format them you will need something like Nero InCD. I don't use Nero 7 anymore as I had and awful lot of problems with it, went back to Nero 6.

So I don't know whether InCD is part of the Nero 7 package. If not, you should be able to download a version from the Nero website.

johndrew 16:37 14 Aug 2007

I use Nero 6 but presume 7 is similar.

As is said above, it is usual for InCD to format in the background but in Nero 6 you can also directly format by going into Nero StartSmart, check DVD (or CD/DVD) is selected at the top centre, place the pointer over the Data icon (looks like a page) and select `Format/Prepare Rewritable DVD` and follow the instructions.

If you don`t currently have InCD you can download click here and there is a user guide click here

Hope this helps.

pj123 18:53 14 Aug 2007

johndrew, I just looked at your instructions and I also don't have "Format/Prepare Rewritable DVD"
so I don't think you are correct.

Stuartli 19:07 14 Aug 2007

Do you mean SmartStart?

Your suggestion isn't included in Nero6.

Stuartli 19:07 14 Aug 2007

Even under Advanced toggling.

Stuartli 19:08 14 Aug 2007

Just seen earlier postings - I don't have InCD installed..:-)

Stuartli 19:08 14 Aug 2007

Just seen earlier postings - I don't have InCD installed..:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?