How do I format a 160 gig HD using XP proff.

sammohung 08:24 27 Aug 2005

I have a problem when starting my computer.Every 4 times or so it stops and shows a black screen with white writing saying "We apologise for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this." I have tried removing all the software from the computer but I still get this message every so often. I have to go down the page and start the machine in safe mode then switch off then restart and all is ok for a while. Then the black page pops up again and away we go. I have scanned for everything, checked everything an I guess the next best thing to do is to fromat the hard drive. Can you please advise how to do this. Have learnt a lot from these threads. Thanks in advance.

Graham ® 08:44 27 Aug 2005

Formatting is the last resort. Have you run System File Checker?

Start, Run, 'sfc /scannow'. Note the space. You may be prompted to insert the XP CD.

sammohung 09:00 27 Aug 2005

Thanks Graham, but I have tried that but I find it difficult to decide what should be there and what should not. I've tried msconfig as well but nothing I do has rid me of this problem, hence the request of HOW to format the hard drive using XP.
Sammohung

Al94 09:22 27 Aug 2005

Putting "format a hard drive in XP" into Google search brings this click here up as first result. Should be of help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:04 27 Aug 2005

1. back up all your files and photos before proceding

2. make sure you have all the drivers for your graphics card / modem / tv card etc. Plus XP serial No. etc.

3. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

4. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

5. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

6. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

7. Choose the option to format the partition and install on that partition.

sammohung 06:12 28 Aug 2005

Thanks guys. I now have the information I asked for, thanks again.
I always used to shut down the computer then switch of all power to everything (safety issue I guess). I have not done this for the last nine or ten shutdowns and the problem has not reappeared. I think maybe a spike from the power lines was causing the problem. If my theory is not correct I may well have to go down the track of formatting the hard drive. Finger crossed.
By the way it's a lovely sunny winters day, around 20 degrees C in Perth, Western Australia.
regards, sammohung

sammohung 06:34 28 Aug 2005

I always used to shut down the computer then switch of all power to everything (safety issue I guess). I have not done this for the last nine or ten shutdowns and the problem has not reappeared. I think maybe a spike from the power lines was causing the problem. If my theory is not correct I may well have to go down the track of formatting the hard drive. Finger crossed.
By the way it's a lovely sunny winters day, around 20 degrees C in Perth, Western Australia.
regards, sammohung

sammohung 06:35 28 Aug 2005

regards, sammohung

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?