How do I create a restore point

ponytail 09:28 19 Jan 2017
Answered

I have just had some work done on my laptop and it is running fine.The person who helped me said I should create a restore point on a regular basis maybe once a fortnight.Can someone tell me how I go about creating a restore point.Saw the following on Google

Right-click the Start button, then select Control Panel > System and Maintenance > System. In the left pane, select System protection. Select the System Protection tab, and then select Create. In the System Protection dialog box, type a description, and then select Create. All I can see system and security cannot see system protection.I am running Windows 7

alanrwood 09:38 19 Jan 2017

It is a text liune on the very left hand side

Govan1x 09:39 19 Jan 2017
  ponytail 10:55 19 Jan 2017
Answer

Thanks have done it now

davecartman 11:31 19 Jan 2017

Just to be sure, a restore point restores the system not accidentally lost files, these should be backed up somewhere separately.

bumpkin 12:11 19 Jan 2017

Now you have created it, test it to make sure it works ok. I found the w7 system restore pretty unreliable.

ponytail 13:03 20 Jan 2017

As I have just had about 350 windows updates installed on Wednesday and if there was a problem if I did a system restore and went back to the 18th I would not lose those updates is that correct.

Archonar 13:32 20 Jan 2017

I'm not completely sure of this but I assume that as long as the restore point was created after the updates installed then no you won't lose the updates

Burn-it 14:36 20 Jan 2017

The restore point will restore to the state it was at when taken.

Burn-it 14:40 20 Jan 2017

That is just the registry and some important system files. It will not revert EVERYTHING. That is why it is usually a good idea to take a FULL backup before updating.

bumpkin 16:55 20 Jan 2017

Take a full backup now as Burn-it suggests and then test the restore point. You may also be able to undo the restore from what I remember. Whatever happens you can use the backup if you have to. I used restore all the time with XP but with W7 I gave up. Maybe just me or my set up but that is why I suggest you test it first before relying on it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

How map doodles inspired Eric Chase Anderson's illustrations for a Wes Anderson classic

Mac mini 2018 review

Quel est le meilleur iPad (pour la plupart des gens) ?