how do i count time up in excel and average it ?

Naughty Nigel 21:59 10 May 2005

I am trying to bulid a file that shows my average work hours over 17 weeks .You're guessed it I'm a lorry driver.

Belatucadrus 23:16 10 May 2005

In lieu of any Excel experts, here's what works on Star and I believe the functions are compatible.

Format the input data cell range to time format [HH]:MM:SS then in the cell you want to use as the average put in the function =AVERAGE(A3:A6)
A3 being the top cell and A6 the bottom, substitute whatever yours is. I've assumed the data was entered in a single column.
VoG probably knows a much more elegant way of doing it, so it may be worth waiting for him.

daba 23:40 10 May 2005

... I have tested above on excel 97, works fine.

Only confusing thing is the formatting - it is not one of the 'Time' formats, but needs to be entered as a 'Custom' format.

If you only want hours and minutes, use [h]:mm as the custom format, and if you want the hours to have a leading zero (like 24-hour clock), then use [hh]:mm

The square brackets around the hours enables the display to show greater than 24 hours, otherwise excel displays 04:00 for 28 hours, upsetting the averaging.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts