how do i check cds for viruses

joeltr 13:44 30 Jul 2003

sorry if the question is obvious, but when i receive a new cd-rom for my pc sometimes it advises to check for viruses, so i put one in to try, but i dont know what to do to check it, as youve guessed im a beginner, thanks, joel

Jester2K II 13:47 30 Jul 2003

What Anti Virus are you using?

Is there an option in it to run a removal media test? or a custom scan. You can select the CD Drive that way.

joeltr 13:50 30 Jul 2003

thanks, i have avg from pcadvisor, also zone alarm, i have windows xp installed,

pluff 13:50 30 Jul 2003

Presuming that you have norton antivirus insert cd double click my computer right click cd drive and select scan for viruses.

Jester2K II 13:53 30 Jul 2003

Open AVG (right click System Tray icon - bootom right of screen) and select Run AVG Anti-Virus. Select Removable Media Test.

Then select your CD Drive with the CD in it.

Jester2K II 13:54 30 Jul 2003

pluffs suggestion also works with AVG - right click the drive in explorer and select Scan With AVG

beeuuem 14:01 30 Jul 2003

Either insert CD in Drive, right click on the icon (in My Computer) and select Scan with AVG.
Or you can right click on the AVG taskbar icon > Run AVG Anti-virus > select 'Test' tab > Custom test and select your CD drive.

beeuuem 14:02 30 Jul 2003

Late again!

joeltr 14:03 30 Jul 2003

i have just successfully scanned my first cd- it went through everything on it and said no suspicious viruses found fantastic, a big thankyou to everyone, brilliant. joel

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?