how do i back up everything?

Mysticnas 20:01 20 Dec 2003

Hi all,

I think it's time to back up my 40gb drive which is my OS drive. It's only got about 4gb left on it.

Whats best way to do it? a drive image? a regular back up? not really sure what to do.

I want to get another 40gb drive and setup raid 0 with the drives. I've got a 120gb drive too, which will stay as my storage drive. i got about 50gb left on that.

Gaz 25 20:13 20 Dec 2003

Drive image, or HDD > HDD software if you have another IDE.

DieSse 20:16 20 Dec 2003

I use Acronis True Image to create an image, and also XXclone (winXP) to make a cloned drive (which I keep in a caddy, outside the system. Both are excellent, in their own ways.

wee eddie 20:19 20 Dec 2003

External HDD - Maxtor XT500 or a LaCie job.

For longer compatibility, both USB2 and Firewire.

Mysticnas 14:35 24 Dec 2003

save all your working files or anything does it?

i just saves your system files and setup doesn't it?

Big Elf 14:43 24 Dec 2003

I know cash play a part but with the amount of storage you need then maybe a 200GB+ hard drive might be an idea.

I also use Acronis TrueImage and it takes a 'snapshot' of the whole (single) drive including OS ready to restore in the event of problems.

Big Elf 14:45 24 Dec 2003

I missed the fact that you keep your data on a separate drive. Using a disk image doesn't just limit you to the one drive. You could image your OS drive and then create a separate image for your data.

Big Elf 14:47 24 Dec 2003

Sorry. I might be talking rubbish, I think. I don't know if you could use an image to restore data only.

hugh-265156 15:03 24 Dec 2003

if you use acronis,drive image,ghost etc.then this backs up everything,files,folders,games,programs,windows updates the lot.

it creates an exact image of your hard drive to either cdrom(will take a few for 40gig even with compression) or to another drive.you can then reinstall this image and be up and running exactly as you were in under half an hour.

a simple back up wont do this.

Mysticnas 15:06 24 Dec 2003

can i save to DVD too? or will it only restore the image back from a CDROM?

hugh-265156 15:16 24 Dec 2003

acronis will back up to the following:

Hard disk drives
Networked storage devices
CD-R(W)
DVD-R(W), DVD+R(W)*
ZIP®, Jazz® and other removable media
IDE, SCSI, FireWire and USB 1.0 / 2.0 drives, PC card storage devises.

click here for more info.

i think most other image programs will do similar.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?