Hot Topics

How do I access emails on Microsoft Exchange

aphrodite42 14:36 12 Feb 2020

I have M/S Office Professional installed on my new PC and am using Word and Excel without any problem. However I can't access my emails on Outlook - I can see via Gmail on my phone that I have loads but can't seem to access Microsoft Exchange to download them into Outlook on the PC. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Brian Hamilton 14:54 12 Feb 2020

but can't seem to access Microsoft Exchange to download them into Outlook on the PC.

Forget about MS Exchange Server.

Add a Gmail account to Outlook

aphrodite42 16:26 12 Feb 2020

Thanks Brian. Have added my Gmail account as suggested and can now see the emails but I do not understand why they don't download through M/S Exchange - I didn't choose to use it at set-up - it just happened.

qwbos 21:16 12 Feb 2020

In Outlook, File> Account Settings>Account Settings, then add your email accounts.

aphrodite42 22:16 12 Feb 2020

My email accounts are already added. One shows as IMAP and the others as Microsoft Exchange. I hit Send/Receive All but they just don't seem to download. I have spent hours trying to get this sorted but just don't know where I have gone wrong.

qwbos 00:26 13 Feb 2020

In Outlook Options>Advanced>Send/Receive, do you have "All Accounts" listed as a group and "Include this group in send/receive" ticked?

Brian Hamilton 06:16 13 Feb 2020

My email accounts are already added. One shows as IMAP and the others as Microsoft Exchange.

The Microsoft Exchange bit is the problem. You have set up the rest of your email accounts incorrectly. Would be a good idea to tell us who the rest of your email accounts are with.

aphrodite42 11:40 13 Feb 2020

Yes, Brian, MS Exchange really is the problem. Think I may have got it sorted. Deleted each of the MS Exchange accounts and then added them afresh as IMAP so now all four accounts are IMAP and they are now downloading into Outlook. I just now need to have them all showing in the inbox together instead of having to look at each account individually - do I use Send/Receive Groups for this? Is this what 'qwbos' means. In view of my previous hiccups I am reluctant to do this without guidance.

qwbos 12:45 14 Feb 2020

In Send/Receive, you should see 'All accounts' listed under 'Group name'. With that highlighted (if it's the only group as on mine, it will be by default) click Edit. Can you see all your email accounts listed there? Go through each account and tick 'Include the selected account in this group', 'Send mail items', 'Receive mail items'.

aphrodite42 14:49 14 Feb 2020

Hi qwbos. I get as far as seeing all email accounts listed but cannot get to 'Include ... in group'. Is my Outlook set up differently to yours?

qwbos 16:23 14 Feb 2020

Is my Outlook set up differently to yours?

If you lean to the left a little bit, I'll have a look. Right. It looks like it could be. Have a look at this.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Will 5G kill you?

Becoming an In-House Illustrator: advice from those who've made it

iPhone SE 2 release date, price & specs rumours

Les meilleurs VPN pour Amazon Fire TV Stick (2020)