How could this happen?

misters 20:33 25 Feb 2003

I know connection speeds have been mentioned hundreds of times on this forum but i have really ever had a problem, in fact i was quite proud of my 56k modem connecting at 50600bps.

My problem now is i haved moved my pc to another room in fact nearer my telephone box, so its just a straight connection from my modem to the box no extensions. After doing this my connection has dropped dramaticly to 21600bps.
Anyone any ideas how this happened?
thanx in advance.

accord 20:36 25 Feb 2003

wet finger in the air jobby but try taking the lead out, clean it and the insert back into modem and tel box. are you using a different lead or through a splitter

accord 20:37 25 Feb 2003

wet finger in the air jobby but try taking the lead out, clean it and the insert back into modem and tel box. are you using a different lead or through a splitter

misters 21:33 25 Feb 2003

No. Same lead, cleaned it went up a bit to 33000, not great but at least an improvement.
Any more ideas?

howard60 21:51 25 Feb 2003

the resistance of the extra cable to the further phone point is somehow aiding the signal. I know it should work the other way round. Out of interest have you tried taking it back to the other room and checking it there. Going really technical - if the point you are now in is the master socket this has a capacitor in circuit that a slave has not. I have forgotten the theory but on a dc signal the effect of the capacitance could be having a slowing effect. You would need a real phone techie to explain this.

misters 22:00 25 Feb 2003

Your right i need someone to explain lol.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?