How to connect USB printer to ethernet

csqwared 20:13 15 Apr 2019
Answered

Printer's gone t**s up. My replacement of choice is WorkForce WF 2750 but it's USB only connectivity. I want ethernet connection. I've had a look at USB to Ethernet adapters but since they seem to need drivers I'm not sure that's what I need. I currently run three PC's (2 Windows, 1 Linux) through the router to printer via ethernet. Any suggestions please?

wee eddie 22:41 15 Apr 2019

Plug its USB cable into the PC that is most frequently turned on, it should be visible throughout the network, so long as that PC is turned on

csqwared 22:59 15 Apr 2019
Answer

Cheers wee eddie, but i've just realised - the router has a USB port!! Dohh!! Thanks anyway.

Secret-Squirrel 09:36 16 Apr 2019

......the router has a USB port!!

Just a word of warning that plugging a USB printer into the back of your router may not work, or if it does, it may have limited functionality.

Your best option is to spend a few quid more and buy a printer with an Ethernet port.

csqwared 21:02 16 Apr 2019

Thanks SS

Actually finished up with a Canon MG5750. The router I have (TP-Link Archer VR400) has USB Printer Controller software and both Win PC's are functioning properly, the Linux kit is proving a little more problematic but I can live with that until I get it sorted. Thanks again.

Secret-Squirrel 07:58 17 Apr 2019

Thanks for the update :)

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

How to create a robot painting in Photoshop

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

French Days 2019 : dates, sites participants & bons plans