Hot Topics

How can talktalk just go down?

Graham* 23:14 21 Oct 2015

I find it hard to believe they can't fix this in seconds.

Ventad 08:04 25 Oct 2015

(Above)

She was told she had a rebate and they wanted her account number, she was 84

Secret-Squirrel 08:55 25 Oct 2015

She was told she had a rebate and they wanted her account number....

That happened to a client of mine. The caller knew he was a TalkTalk customer and had his full name and address. The background noise was that of a busy call centre - but it was probably a recording. The first part of the call was to tell him that his compuer had problems and there was an offer to fix them for free. Later during the call he was told he was due a £200 refund but hung up when he was asked for his banking details. When he restarted his laptop he was locked out of Windows as he didn't know the password.

All that occurred on October 13 so it seems likely to me that TalkTalk customer details have been in the wild for some time.

spuds 10:06 25 Oct 2015

"All that occurred on October 13 so it seems likely to me that TalkTalk customer details have been in the wild for some time."

And that's the worrying thing, as per my earlier comment in receiving a call from supposedly TalkTalk. I have had the usual telephone scam calls, previously suggesting from Microsoft, TalkTalk et al. But on that occasion, when I contacted supposedly TalkTalk security hotline, the caller had far to many details for my liking, so I ended the call promptly and contacted TalkTalk for advice and assistance. All I got was what appeared to be some sales patter, in case I was thinking of leaving TalkTalk.

Personally I gained the impression that the information the person had, was possibly gained from internal means, something on the lines we sometimes or far to often read about, of an employee passing on information for personal gain or hate. I am not saying it was the case, in my own experience, because I never got to find out. But it was worrying all the same, how an outside body, could easily obtain information that you are told is held securely?.

Graham* 19:13 26 Oct 2015

Boy of 15 arrested in NI:

click here

spuds 19:24 26 Oct 2015

When you send a note demand note, asking for a new play game, you are bound to be caught ;o)

john bunyan 20:14 26 Oct 2015

If a boy of 15 is the mastermind it, it shows how inadequate their firewall was. I still do not fully trust the banks and, so far have not applied for internet banking.

Ventad 10:54 27 Oct 2015

Talktalk "my account" still down, must have really put the frighteners on them. I see that they are saying they will waver costs for early leaving contracts if people loose money out of their accounts only after talktalk have looked into the case and find that the customer has not been conned out of the money by giving more details.

Talktalk also say webmail is back on, but I am finding it a bit chaotic,up and down at different times.

Share prices dropped as well , shareholders obviously frightened of loosing their money, if this is a fifteen year old lad's work, surely to do a sustained attack (as talktalk said) he must have a lot of bots under his control or did he just put in the ransome note!

spuds 12:05 27 Oct 2015

"Talktalk also say webmail is back on, but I am finding it a bit chaotic,up and down at different times."

You are not alone, I have had this problem for quite sometime now. Even their 'Essential Maintenance" schedules do not seem to help!.

Ventad 08:06 31 Oct 2015

Just read this on the talktalk forum, it was taken from the FT and reported on sky news.

"TalkTalk had several weak points in their systems and they publish them on social media before the cyber attack. "

This appears to be equivalent if not worse than old people being conned out of bank details though talktalk giving away their details

spuds 12:27 03 Dec 2015

I was in contact with TalkTalk this morning, and they are still having serious problems with their Webmail service, which apparently, "they are working very hard, day and night" in trying to resolve the faults!.

The rest of the service, is as usual. Some subscriber's are having problems, other have not, and are very happy!.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S20 Fan Edition: Rumoured specs, availability and more

“Drawing a comic is like directing a movie”: Cartoonist Chendi Xu on her European yarns

Apple Breakfast: iOS 14 public beta & iPhone 12 price rise

Offre exclusive : Windows 10 Pro à seulement 39,99 €