How can I throttle my daughters connection??

keca 21:28 24 Nov 2006

I have a 5.5 Mbps broadband connection running through a Netgear DG834G router. When I am on the internet everything is fine, as soon as the daughter gets onto MSN thats it, everything slows right down. Is there anything I can do to limit her connection speed to maintain mine? I can't find anything about the Netgear being able to do anything but is there something out there that can that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

mgmcc 23:01 24 Nov 2006

Does your router have QoS (Quality of Service) settings which would give your connection priority over hers?

keca 09:59 25 Nov 2006

Hi,

I can't see anything about it in the Manual so I guess No it doesn't. I guess Netgear don't do it but does anyone else? If I need to get a new router I may consider it though if it solves my problem.

mgmcc 12:59 25 Nov 2006

I have Telewest Cable broadband, not ADSL, but my Linksys router does have QoS settings with which to set priorities click here

Ashrich 18:40 25 Nov 2006

Netgear has the QOS in the firmware but has chosen not to implement it in the DG834G , from what I can gather .I'd go for the ZyXel P660HW bundle click here
damn good price as well .

Ashley

keca 11:41 26 Nov 2006

mgmcc & Ashrich,

Thanks for the reply I'll start looking for a new router starting with the Linksys and the Zyxel

Regards
Kev

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?