How can I stop Gmail generating stupid messages?

Tilloubill 09:27 06 Dec 2018

I've had a number of comments from email contacts saying that at the bottom of messages I have sent them, there are silly messages printed in blue. Messages such as "Glad you got home safe." "Glad to hear you made it." All these do is give the impression I'm a complete idiot.

Can someone tell me how to stop these messages appearing?

rdave13 15:39 06 Dec 2018

Check in Gmail settings under the General tab that Signature is set to No signature.

Tilloubill 19:01 06 Dec 2018

I just checked and it is already set as "no signature". It used to be easy to move back to the old version of Gmail, but I can't see how I do it on this version. Any advice?

difarn 11:31 07 Dec 2018

I think the option to revert back expired in October. Have you tried accessing your G Mail from another browser? I read a post similar to yours and the suggested solution was to change the format to plain text. These are the instructions given on how to do that.

click here

Tilloubill 11:42 07 Dec 2018

Thanks for the replies. I selected compose and "more" but no reference to Plain text was displayed. I suppose I'll just have to add a message to every email sent, "The messages in blue are nothing to do with me."

difarn 12:13 07 Dec 2018

I have just tried it. When you clicked on the three dots to the right of the discard draft bin, did you not get a drop-down box giving you options - default to full-screen, label, plain text mode, print, check spelling?

rdave13 16:14 07 Dec 2018

Try this, in settings, general tab, scroll down to Smart Reply and dot the button for off.

difarn 18:34 07 Dec 2018

If you do turn Smart Reply off don't forget to scroll down to the bottom of the page and save changes.

wee eddie 20:16 07 Dec 2018

I haven't come in on this yet.

I don't think that the problem is at your end.

They have "Smart Reply" turned on

rdave13 21:27 07 Dec 2018

wee eddie that's probably it. What the hell is it with these internet giants' thoughts I wonder?

wee eddie 22:20 07 Dec 2018

They have an R&D Department. These people feel that they have to justify their salary, so, every now and again they come up with some damfool scheme or other

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Artist Yippie Hey on 3D printing a futuristic magazine cover

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comparatif : PS4 vs Nintendo Switch