how can i reinstall win 7

Grizzley 17:26 07 Nov 2016

Can someone please help, i cant update windows, pc seems unwilling to do it. I have the latest update agent installed. I wish to re-install everything to fix instability. I have a MEDION tower and recovery disks, i noticed that last time there was about 4 different partitions, can someone tell me how to format HD so i can safely install my windows 7 home premium, without 4 partitions. Its so annoying, i cant even install my mcafee live safe. any advice would be appreciated. Thank You

Govan1x 18:47 07 Nov 2016

Can you not just put it back to factory settings. If it came with W7 on it it should go back to W7

Govan1x 18:55 07 Nov 2016

One is probably your C Drive and another your restore to factory setting and other would be your CD Drive, Not sure what the 4th would be but knowing medion it would it will be your small Card drive.

Yup that should be the 4 that you have which is normal on most Medion Pc's. It will do no harm keeping those.

Govan1x 18:58 07 Nov 2016

if using W10 just now make sure Windows Update and Windows Firewall are set to automatic and both running in Services.

BRYNIT 20:10 07 Nov 2016

Do you just want to reset it back to factory defalt if so leave the partition as they are need you just need to pres I think F11 on boot to get into the recovery menu.(instrution should be in manual supplied with computer) remember to remove all external USB hard/flash drives first.

The four partition on your hard drive contain boot menus and the recovery files that allow you to use the Medion factory restore and should only be deleted if you want to do a clean install of Win 7 without the programs supplied by Medion.

The recovery disk you have will have a full copy of Windows 7 if your computer came with 3gb memory you may have been supplied with 2 recovery disks a Win 7 32bit and a 64bit disk. If you had 4gb you would only have the 64bit disk, remember if you are changing from Windows 32bit to 64bit you will need 64bit drivers for your printer ect.

If you boot from the recovery disk it shold give you 2 options, update and install. As you progress through the first part of the installation you should see "Drive options" this will allow you to delete the partitions and format the hard drive befor doing a clean install.

Personally I would create a full backup of the hard drive just incase you have any problems or use a spare drive to instal Win 7 on before deleting the original.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:25 07 Nov 2016

If you mess with the parttions the recovery DVD will not work to reinstall windows

Boot with the recovery CD in the drive and follow the instructions.

Grizzley 21:12 07 Nov 2016

Thanks for advice i appreciate it.

BRYNIT 22:50 07 Nov 2016

Fruit Bat /\0/\ The recovery DVD on Medion Win 7 computers contain a copy of Windows to allow a clean install it does not use the recovery files on the hard drive. The Application and support DVD is the one that boots into the recovery menu and uses the recovery files on the hard drive or as I stated using an F key on boot will do the same.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Artist Yippie Hey on 3D printing a futuristic magazine cover

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comparatif : PS4 vs Nintendo Switch