How can I make my 10 years old pc faster?

Ahmedek6 17:15 08 Jan 2018
Answered

Good Evening, First of all I apologize for my english. Hopefully you can understand me.

My laptop broke yesterday and I have to deal for 1 year with my 10 years old computer.

Specs of the old computer are: Windows XP AMD Athlon(tm) Dual Core Procesor 4850e 2,5GHz 2,00 GB ram

I didn't find any other specs about it.

The PC doesn't have any other problems. Just it's slow.

What can I do with the PC to have the best perfomance?

Please, Can you help me with this problem?

Thank You so much

octal 17:29 08 Jan 2018
Answer

The computer isn't really up for the Windows systems, you might have more luck running one of the light Linux systems on it. I personally use Ubuntu MATE on one of my old netbooks which is 10 years old and a similar specification to your old computer and it works fast enough for what I need. It is fine for just general browsing and emails and a bit of word processing, anything that is using heavy graphics it will not handle well.

Ahmedek6 17:34 08 Jan 2018

@octal Thank you for your super fast answer. Is it hard to install the Ubuntu system? As I said earlier I'm not the best in these things.

Thanks

octal 17:34 08 Jan 2018

I nearly forgot, I made a huge increase in speed by replacing the old hard drive with a solid state drive, it depends how good you are at taking things apart if you have to do that, you might tell us the make and model of the computer, someone might be able to tell you how easy it is to replace the drive.

Ahmedek6 17:36 08 Jan 2018

@octal No no. I don't want to spend any money in it. It's only for one year. After the year I'm going to buy new laptop.

octal 17:37 08 Jan 2018

No it isn't hard, in fact it is very easy, you just follow the instructions on the screen, but just be aware it isn't like Windows even though it looks like it, so things are done slightly differently to what you are used to in Windows.

wee eddie 17:41 08 Jan 2018

The only trouble with Linux is that you are not able to use your usual Windows Software

Ahmedek6 17:41 08 Jan 2018

@octal So the best thing is to install there completly new OS? Back up files and install Ubuntu?

Ahmedek6 17:42 08 Jan 2018

What do you mean by Windows Software?

Ahmedek6 17:47 08 Jan 2018

@octal Is the Ubuntu Mate safe? I mean does the system has good security?

octal 19:21 08 Jan 2018

wee eddie made a statement without explaining, what he means if you have any application you have installed on your old machine you might not be able to install it on the Linux machine, I say might, because a lot of my old Windows software does actually run perfectly through an application called Wine, it depends what it is.

Security is very good, it doesn't need anti virus installed, there are viruses but you have to install them yourself by supplying the password to install it, it won't install just by double clicking it. It has a firewall which I recommend making sure it's activated.

Lastly, you can actually try it without installing it, it will run from the USB drive or CD, whichever your computer will take, the USB drive is quicker.

So, what do you need to use your computer for?

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?