How can I format a dell laptop

Mad Mick 11:40 29 Apr 2006

I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop and I am trying to format the hard drive. The System restore disk seems to put another Windows XP over the top of the existing one. I would like to format the drive and reinstall Windows. How do I create a dos boot CD.

johnnyrocker 11:43 29 Apr 2006

can you not do this from disk manager? right click my computer and choose.

johnny.

Mad Mick 11:50 29 Apr 2006

Johnnyrocker. Where is disk manager

johnnyrocker 11:55 29 Apr 2006

right click my computer and select manage.

johnny.

ed-0 11:55 29 Apr 2006

You cannot format the system hard drive "C" from with in windows " disk management". It is impossible.

Mad Mick 11:56 29 Apr 2006

Sorry johnnyrocker didn't read your post correctly. The create an MS dos start up disk is greyed out. This may be because the laptop does not have an A drive. It has a CDrw drive and USB slots

rawprawn 11:56 29 Apr 2006
  Mad Mick 12:00 29 Apr 2006

ed-0 I am quickly coming to that conclusion but can't get a dos promt to format it in dos. There used to be an F key combination that would let you boot into a dos screen at start up but I can't remember it.

Mad Mick 12:02 29 Apr 2006

Just taking she who must be obeyed out shopping. Will check in later. Thanks to all who have helped so far.

ed-0 13:47 29 Apr 2006

" 1. Power the computer on.
2. When the Dell screen appears press and hold the <Ctrl> key on the keyboard, press the <F11> key, then release them both at the same time.
The Dell PC Restore by Symantec window appears. "

from click here

Hopefully that should get rid of both installations.;-)

Mad Mick 16:04 29 Apr 2006

Thanks ed-0, I will try that. I may be offline for some time whilst I load everything on again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?